Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Ideas for an active honey moon??

FI and I weren't planning on going on a honeymoon, but now he wants to. We are looking for something beachy but also very active. We want to go hiking, surfing, kayaking, on safari's, play sports...etc. We also like to lounge on the beach. There also must be a gym!

Any reccomendations?

Thanks everyone

Re: Ideas for an active honey moon??

• Options
    Kauai! It has beautiful beaches, lots of hiking, and exploring. We spent a week there a year and a half ago and were constantly on the go... but still don't feel like we have seen and done everything. So we are going back in two months for 10 days this time. As small as the island is I feel like we didn't have enough time there last time. Oh and the food is so good there, especially of you like fish!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It depends in your budget but Costa Rica looks amazing and Jamaica and Puerto Rico might be good as well as they all have beaches and a rain forest so there would be lots to do!
  • Options
    I think you can pretty much go anywhere and have almost all of your requirements. A gym I am not sure about. I used to want a gym at the hotels I stayed at when on vacation but I realized with how active my Husband and I are on vacation the vacation itself was our work out. We are always all over the place doing a ton of walking and activities that going to the gym was the last thing we wanted to do at the end (or begining) of the day. 

What is your budget? That will have a huge impact on what some people might suggest. Mexico is very affordable and extremely active if you want it to be. There is so much to do and so much to see you could be there a full week (like we were) and not see everything or do everything. Or you could go to Africa and do the Safari and go to Cape Town and do a beach type thing or something that is a mix of everything. But something like that is going to cost you around 8k probably minimum. 

• Options
    I would also suggest costa rica.  But I would also consider how active you are really going to want to be.  FI and I are very active people, and this is pretty much the one and only vacation where we plan to just sit on a beach and do nothing.  The closer I get to the wedding the more incredible that sounds. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was going to say backpacking in Yosemite but then I saw that you said you want to do beach stuff.  Sounds like Hawaii or Costa Rica would fit you well, or maybe even Honduras.  Utila is supposed to be amaaaazing, and flights are super cheap.  If you're willing to do the legwork of really planning the logistical piece, Honduras would be really fun--there is lots of hiking, and certainly beach and water.
  • Options
    thanks so much everyone for all the thought and ideas you put into this thread! I really love the costa rica honey moon idea. I am going to look into all these places while I still have a year and 5 months till the actual wedding so it gives me plenty of time to do tons of research and save. I'd say we only want to spend a week away on a trip because its not something we were planning on even doing because we are going to be buying a house, but since FI wants to do it, our budget will most likely be about 8 grand. Then again, we could do something fun and active and more inexpensive for a week and save more money towards our home. So we will have to really look into it.
    Thanks for all your help!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_ideas-for-an-active-honey-moon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:d86158ab-5278-4097-b4a9-81c33e96ddb9Post:c6ced43c-291e-474c-a182-312a0a9a64b8">Re: Ideas for an active honey moon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks so much everyone for all the thought and ideas you put into this thread! I really love the costa rica honey moon idea. I am going to look into all these places while I still have a year and 5 months till the actual wedding so it gives me plenty of time to do tons of research and save. I'd say we only want to spend a week away on a trip because its not something we were planning on even doing because we are going to be buying a house, but since FI wants to do it, our budget will most likely be about 8 grand. Then again, we could do something fun and active and more inexpensive for a week and save more money towards our home. So we will have to really look into it. Thanks for all your help!
    Posted by julespinkribbon[/QUOTE]

<div>8 grand will go really far in Costa Rica - if I recall, you are saving for a house so you could stay at some really nice places and not come close to that threshold.  FI and I fully planned on a costa rica honeymoon until our budget dropped a bit - we could probably still do it but it would be cutting it close.  That said, I researched everything on the assumption that we would be able to go.</div><div>
    </div><div>Probably the four best areas are Guanacaste, Arenal, Manuel Antonio National Park and the Cloud Forest.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Guancaste is primarily beach - your big box hotels are here, your AIs, etc.  The Westin Guanacaste is great, as is the Four Seasons.</div><div>
    </div><div>Arenal is in the middle of the country, and it is named for an incredible volcano in the middle of the rain forest.  If you go, you MUST stay at the Nayara - read reviews on trip advisor, they are incredible.</div><div>
    </div><div>The Cloud Forest is more remote and probably has fewer activities, but there are some nice ecolodges in that area.  People on these boards recommend El Silencio for this area, but it may be more low key than you are looking for.</div><div>
    </div><div>Finally, Manuel Antonio has beach, jungle, and eco lodges - it's one of the few areas of the world where you have a national park on land that basically merges with a national park in the sea and tributaries.  Some of the best wildlife is in this small area.  Check out the Gaia hotel and Arenas del Mar.</div><div>
    </div><div>For a range of activities and a unique experience, I would consider spending half your time in Arenal for the volcano activities like hiking and ziplining (and natural hot springs) and half your time in Manuel Antonio for beach stuff.  Both have jungle activities and Manuel Antonio has some interesting tours into the national forest for wildlife and out into the tributaries, etc.  Both also have a nice balance of adventure and relaxation.  I can almost promise you that you will want some time to chill in a nice spa or hot spring right after the wedding is over, but this gives you all the adventure as well.  Only issue is that you probably need to fly between the areas... but with your budget that won't be a problem.  There are several low-priced and very safe inter-country airlines in costa rica that service airports near both of these locations.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards