Outdoor Weddings
Options

Indecisive Bride!!

I am the type of person who proscrastinates in almost everything I do, but I don't wanna proscastinate with ideas dealing with my "Big Day".  My wedding is next September so I am giving myself plenty of time to get everything just right.  I need advice on outside weddings.  I would love to have one but can't seem to find the perfect spot.  I live in Mississippi, (bordering the Louisiana State line) and would love reccomendations on venues in these two states.  I was also playing with the idea of having it at home (since my family owns alot of land), or a destination wedding but I can't decide if either would be cost-efficient and I have no idea how to get the ball rolling with ideas.  If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

Re: Indecisive Bride!!

• Options
    This is an international board. You will have much more help asking your local boards for venue ideas.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2010
    Start by picking a state you want to get married in.  Then, start looking at potential venues.  Once you have selected a venue , whether it be family property or whatever, set a date and time.  That will get the ball rolling.  But, you have to kinda have a sense of what you're looking for. 

For ideas, google "outdoor weddings" or "garden wedding" or "evening weddings" also, go to project wedding and do searches - they have tons of pictures that can serve as inspiration.  Additionally, do what the pp stated.  Stake out the local boards for where you think you might want to have your wedding.  Ask questions there - but do some research first.  When you have specific questions, rather than extremely vague and general questions, you tend to get a lot more responses.

HTH and good luck!
  • Options
    hey!  I am indecisive too so maybe we can help each other! 

For one I am from OHIO so this may not be a great deal of help.... but I am planning on having a smalller ceremony with just family in July and then later on about 530 we are having our reception at our house.  We have rented tents, chairs, tables, and linens and are having a bbq reception basically.  We are having pulled pork, burgers, chicken sandwiches, and ribs etc. for food and so it will be very simple.  Catering was a family friend so we're getting a decent deal on that but drinks will be expensive for you since you may be having alcohol and soda, water, etc. 

With it being an outdoor reception we are also fighting the chance of mother nature not being on our side so hopefully that works out for us. 

As for entertainment we are having some corn hole boards out, bocee ball, and croquet for entertainment and games people can play when or if they aren't eating.  however I am running into needing entertainment ideas once it gets dark.  Besides the music we don't have a lot of entertainment but then again that's the same as it would be at a hall as well so I think I'm just being a worry wart about the guests and entertaining them. 

I know it may be different since we're in different locations but with the ceremony and reception, thus far, it will be around 6,000 or a little more for us as a total.  We had some help with a family friend catering and doing our own music with a laptop playlist and speakers and on drinks as well so our budget might be alittle smaller than some....but I consider it inexpensive compared to most!

I hope I helped!

good luck and congratulations!
  • Options
    try a golf course...we found a beautiful golf course (live in NC though)
  • Options
    Outdoor weddings can be beautiful and fun if done right. You can still make it very elegant and classy or go with a more laid back feel. I have been searching the internet for ideas ever since my engagement in September and have come across many creative ideas. There was one wedding I saw where they did a picnic reception. They layed down blankets for people to set on and packed all of the food and drinks into picninc baskets. It was super cute, though more casual than what I'm going for. If you search photographers websites you can get alot of great ideas from pictures they have taken of various weddings. I am having an outdoor wedding this June
    (in Indiana) at a cabin in a wooded clearing owned by a local church. I am not a member of the church, but they rent their cabin out often. We got  a great deal, the cabin comes with tables (picnic and regular), as well as dishes. We're having our ceremony outside on the lawn, then we will have all of our food indoors, with our reception tables underneath the attached pavilion. The site already has bathrooms, so there was very little that we need to rent. I'm doing an enchanted forest theme, though nothing too over the top, just trying to enhance the natural beauty of my location. My location has room to move everything indoors if the weather decides not to cooperate. Keep in mind when picking your location how much it will cost to rent the space and how much you will need to rent (chairs, tables, linens, trash cans, lights, bathrooms, etc.). The rent for the location probably won't seem like much, but once you add up everything you will need it can get expensive. Also, have a back-up plan. You don't want to wait until the day of the wedding and have to cancel due to weather. Look for wedding locations in unexpected places, sometimes you can find the perfect spot where you least expect it. Hope this helps! Remember to have fun planning your wedding!
    I'm married!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards