Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor/evening wedding lighting ideas?

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has any ideas for lighting for my upcoming evening/outdoor fall wedding. Because of the time of year and location of our wedding, the sun will set probably 10-15 minutes after the ceremony itself. (Ceremony and reception are at the same site.) This probably gives enough natural light for cocktail hour, but it will be getting pretty dark by the time dinner is served. We aren’t currently considering a tent because the venue has a full sized house available in the event of inclement weather. I don’t’ want to automatically default to doing everything inside, though. Do you think tikki torches would be enough? How many do you think I’ll need? I’ve also considered lanterns on every table. We’re far enough south that I’m not worried about it getting cold, just dark.

Re: Outdoor/evening wedding lighting ideas?

• the knot galleries are full of great lighting ideas- from strings of white lights, to paper lanterns, votives or lanterns hung in trees or on shepherd's hooks. I'd have to take a look at the site, and know your theme to make further suggestions.
  • I definitely second the paper lanterns idea! I'm planning on having those and I am so excited about them. I have a website bookmarked on how to light them inexpensively, and if interested feel free to page me. Also beautiful things can be done with white Christmas lights, definitely consider that too!
  • You know, white Christmas lights are a great idea. I had been thinking only of candle light, but now that I think about it there are outlets spread all over the lawn where I plan on serving dinner/having the dance floor set up. Thanks for the ideas!!
  • tiki torches would work best with an all flame reception including candles as well. Holiday lights would be better kept separate from the tiki lights because they are very different in creating certain themes. Remember that Tki torches are pretty warm to be around, and the lighting my not be strong enough to get good picturesOur tent already comes with holiday lights wrapped around all of the weight bearing poles. Our venue coordinator insists that it is enough lighting, but we will still have piller candles at all tables. Try to keep it classy.
    imageimage
  • Hi Manda, I'm having the same problems. I'm using christmas lights I got on sale for like 35 cents per 100 ft around the fencing and we're doing candle lanterns and votives on the tables, clear luminarias around the walkways. We're also doing paper globes from the trees and I found battery operated clip on lights at the dollar store to put in them.  I'm debating on renting some 5 globe lamp posts. I would check with your photographer to make sure he/she has a removable flash. Mine assures me this is enough light to get good photos. We're also going to be doing most of our photos before the ceremony just to make sure. Hope this helps, let me know if you come up with any other lighting ideas!~Trish  
  • One more thing, we also thought about the tiki torches and just spray painting them white to look a little more classy :)
  • Trish, I think you're onto something there with the Dollar Store- you never know what they'll have! I talked to my fiance about this last night and he was excited about the idea of paper lanters. If I could find some inexpensive battery lights for a few paper lanterns that would be awesome. The main pathway through the reception area already has ground lights, which helps a lot. Just need to figure out the dance area, tables and buffet line... I'll keep you posted!
  • My friend who got married in Oklahoma got those same battery operated lights at the dollar store there, so definitely check. I got mine here in AZ at the Dollar Tree. :)
  • I think tikki torches are fine if it goes with the style of the wedding. As for how many, I would light one to get a feel for what size area it lights up. We are using candles on app, buffet and bar areas as well as working into centerpieces. Our area has lots of trees so I am doing hanging paper bag lanterns from Martha Stewart weddings. We are also doing several large hurricane vases with rose petals in our colors and 4 or 5 floating candles around the area. Picked up a ton of white Christmas lights in January for $.25 a box (woo hoo!!!) so may try to work them in too.
  • We're definitely using white Christmas lights too! I'm also getting small vases from the dollar store and putting votives in them and then lining the aisle with the candles, so there's a pretty glow when I walk down the aisle (the ceremony begins at 6:30 or so). We're also having tons of candles on all of the tables surrounding our centerpiece and cake... http://www.quickcandles.com/Set-of-96-Candle-Holders-and-96-Tealight-Candles-p/c_set_96_tl.htm= WAY cheap. Good luck :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards