Outdoor Weddings

FARM?

Okay well im thinking of having my wedding at my grandma's farm. It is just a farm with cows nothin cool like a horse ranch lol just boring farm. So it doesn't really have much to the pasture but the pasture itself and a barn. (not even 2story barn.) Im wanting a relatively small wedding of 100 people and I don't even know where to start. I am wanting to have the wedding out in the pasture somewhere and the reception in the barn. so I guess my questions are: How would I even go about decorating for ceremony? Does this sound like a dumb idea (would u go to a farm wedding?) How can I still make everything look formal? BTW at reception I am not wanting sit down dinner just finger foods lots of deserts and candy but still formal. Im sure I will have lots more questions because I am a worry wart and have no clue where to start with all this... Sorry and TIA

Re: FARM?

• I don't think it is dumb at all. Of course I am a little biased since I am having a barn wedding as well! There are so many options for decor but it is based on your personal preference and the actual look of the barn itself. Ours is next fall so we are doing fall decor, hay, etc.. But barns have so much character to begin with that aside from basic decor you don't necessarily have to decorate very much..I would love to hear of any unique ideas you come up with :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love farm weddings....of course I too am biased because mine is on a farm with many of the same things you mentioned (one-story barn, no pasture, and no cows for me).1. Use something to anchor the ceremony (such as an arch or arbor to define the space). From there, the possibilities are endless!2. LOVE barn weddings :)3. It's all in the decor. Using candles and lights in the early evening can give everything a romantic feeling. You have the ability to make it as formal as you want it to be :)I have a bunch of my ideas posted on my planning bio if you want to check them out. Look forward to sharing ideas!
  • I think it's a great idea. I too am having mine outdoors on a small family farm. I am a city girl and my fiance is a country boy and it will be at his parents property. They have an old barn and some pasture. The barn is old and mostly used for storage so we are doing the cermony in front of it under an arbor him and his dad are building. I love it because it's naturally pretty and doesnt need a ton of decoration. The reception in under a tent. I'm doing mostly white lights to decorate the surrounding tress, natural looking centerpieces and decor, and lots of candles to play up the natural prettiness of the site, but I'm also adding a little of my creativity by using bright sumer colors and making the centerpieces etc. You've got a good backdrop so you can get really creative! Good luck.
  • I am renting a barn that's used for weddings. They have very elegantly decorated the inside with large tree branches/vines and then entwined white lights into them. I can then choose to hang things from the branches too (flowers, tiny balls, ribbons, etc). It's very simply done, but classy. I also think that candles would be a great way to add light to the barn: on each guest table, the food tables, etc. The link to my venue is below if you wanted to see how they decorated. Good luck!Jennhttp://www.thealerinbarn.com/
  • There is a 'real weddings' couple on here from my area (charlottesville va) that did this and it's very pretty.  Here's that one: http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/25629/view.aspx?id=25629&type=1&location=192
  • I can relate and here is what I am doing...My parents live on a farm as well and that is where we are having the reception. I wanted it to be formal so we are renting a 40'x200' white wedding tent with the high peaks at the top. That alone will make it formal and grand event. You dont have to have a 5 course meal, just a simple one. We are having three choices of meat (being catered by a local vendor), a vegtable, and redskin potatoes. And of course a salad. So I guess to answer you question, use formal decorations, like satin table cloths, fresh flowers etc... Just because it is on a farm, no one will expect it to be no less then formal. If its not advertised like that on the invite, I mean. I wouldnt even be worried.Hope this helps!
    Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker T L = Mr. & Mrs. Bell 8.28.2010
  • i am doing a farm wedding as well.  we are doing the ceremony in the pasture with cute old wooden signs that direct people to the correct field.  the seating for the ceremony is hay bales covered in old country quilts (a la rebecca romijn).  I am going to have mason jars all around with candles in them both at the ceremony and the reception site.  the barn is too small for our reception unfortunately, but the tent we rented will be right next to it.  Again, mason jars filled with candles.  the center pieces are old glass milk bottles filled with our flowers.  the bar will be serving beer and wine out of different sized mason jars.  all very rustic and country to match the farm theme.  lots of baskets and wild flowers and hay bales and cool lanterns as well.  i wish you the best of luck!
  • I had a farm wedding much like you're describing - ceremony outdoors and reception in the barn.  We used the corncrib as our ceremony backdrop and decorated it with flower arrangements and tulle.  A few close family members brought their potted flowers and we scattered them across the grounds for more decor.  I have PIB.As for the reception, we didn't do much to decorate besides string lights and use candle centerpieces.  We used colored linens to add more color to the room.  We hung 2 heart-shaped wreaths behind the head table.  You could hang grapevine wreaths with silk flowers, berries, or greens stuck in them.  Maybe hang those paper lanterns?  I felt like our was still fairly formal.  We thought of it as country or rustic rather than a "barnyard" wedding.  We did a lot of DIY decor and were thrilled with how everything came together.  Page me if you have any other questions.  Good luck! 
  • Don't know if this is the same as your farm, but we have Christmas Tree Farms in New England and my husband and I got married about a month ago on one - search real weddings pictures for "xmas tree farm wedding."We had a fantastic time.  It was a VERY small wedding, about 27 people and very casual, but lots of fun!  Good luck!
  • I think farm weddings are great especially if it fit’s the couple. We are doing a farm wedding as well. FYI - one thing to keep in mind about pasture - all and I do mean ALL poo must be picked up or guests won’t be happy or smelling very pleasant during meal and reception. Because none of us feel like doing doo-doo pickup we moved everything to various yards. Another thing to keep in mind when choosing site is if it rains days before the ceremony will it be underwater or good to go. The spot I had my heart set on floods easily so I have a back up location in mind if needed. As for decorations we are going with areas that are naturally decorated and doing long term decorations rather then spending on flowers to toss few days later. Our ceremony area has woods as the back drop. We are adding to it by doing flower garden along wood line and adding old arbor for us to stand in front of. Only other ceremony decoration will be tulle draped on back of last row of guest chairs and small flower arrangement hanging on end of every other row which will then move to reserved chairs for our table and parent’s tables at reception. I personally think the way you dress and the decorations set the ton not the location. If you want formal feel go with formal looking centerpieces and decorations. I am doing pintuck linens for all beverage and food stations. Little more expensive but very elegant looking. For your deserts and candy make it feel formal by setting up small stations around the reception area with linens and 'high end' stands/containers to match your feel. I check TJ Max once a week and have found several trays, cake stands, jars and not paid over $4 for any. Good luck and have fun planning.
  • Thank you ladies soo much! You've given me such great ideas keep them coming!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards