Outdoor Weddings
Options

Ever had a harpist?

We're planning to have a harpist play at our outdoor wedding, in a large open space. I'm concerned it won't be loud enough? I can't run utilities to the area so no chance of amplifying. Just wondering if anybody has had personal experience and what they thought. Thanks!

Re: Ever had a harpist?

• Options
    I haven't had any experience with it but you could ask your harpist to play for you outdoors before you book them to make sure it's going to sound good.
  • Options
    I had a harpist at my outdoor wedding. No problems at all.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I haven't, but I have heard a couple of harpists practice/perform indoors plenty of times.  I'm pretty sure they didn't have amps for the harps but I could be wrong.  If your harpist has played outdoor events before, he/she will have an idea of how loudly to play.
  • Options
    We definitely used amps. It's it's windy the sound will be drowned out. If it's perfectly calm, you might be ok, but you can't guarantee that for an outdoor wedding.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I am a harpist, and I used to charge an extra $100 for a portable PA system (I connected a mic to it and placed the mic near my sound board).  There are a few bride and grooms who opted against this and I will tell you that is their worst mistake...let me emphasize outdoors you WILL NOT hear the harp, it's a delicate instrument and without good acoustics there is no way.  Whatever money you spend on a harpist is wasted without a mic and speakers. HTH!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! So it sounds like I'll have to have an amp, and a trial run ahead of time. Better safe than sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards