Outdoor Weddings

Rain on a outdoor wedding day at the farm

Hi I am wanting to have my wedding outdoors at the family farm. Im planning on rent a few tents to cover for the cateres, the reception, and the ceremony. I always read that there should be a backup plan incase of rain, well I dont really know what to do for a backup plan, do you think it is possible to have a floor put in with the tent? Do you think that it is good enough to keep rain out? The house on the property isnt big enough to hold all the guests. Thank you, I just want to be prepared!lol

Re: Rain on a outdoor wedding day at the farm

• Most rental companies have tents that have drop-down sides that can be easily unrolled if it starts to rain.  You'd just have to assign people to do this if the weather doesn't cooperate.
  • I am having the same issue. We decided that if the ground was too wet 7 hours before the wedding we were moving it to another location. Have another location that is inside. Consider the most extreme rain, cold weather, hot weather, snow, hail, etc.
  • If there is a barn on the farm that is used for storage or whatever.Clean it out about a week or so before the wedding or sooner depending on it condition. Keep your eye on the whether and if its going to rain on your wedding day then the day or so before the wedding decorate it and it will be ready just in case you need to use it.
  • Our wedding was outside and we rented the drop down side walls for the tent just in case.  We also rented a dance floor which is just squares that fit together so you could rent a full floor, I'm sure.
  • We had an at-home wedding with tents, and they came a few days before to put the tents up.  It poured for nearly a week before the wedding and even was still raining the morning of, but the ground inside the tent was bone dry.  Most companies will tell you how they work in case of rain, and you can rent the side walls just in case, but a floor will cost you a fortune and isn't necessary in most cases.
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • oaaoaa member
    First Comment
    Your rental company should give you a few options. The sides will keep rain out and setting the tent up a few days in advance will help keep the ground dry. If the ground surrounding the tent slopes toward the tent or the ground puddles at the site of the tent and you have the "worst case scenario" then the water will run under the sides. To combat this you can do one of two things: move the location of the tent to higher ground or have a sub-floor installed to raise the tent over the flow of water. It can be expensive and is not something to decide on last minute. Have your rental compane survey for this eventuality and help you with solutions.
  • I agree that the floors will cost a fortune! They are basically the dance floors that people rent. Just keep in mind that they are usually a vinyl or linoleum. This means "SLIPPERY WHEN WET!" My friend friend this idea and people were sliding cause it decided to rain. I'm sorry...not rain...HAIL! It hadn't rained in 42 days and on the day of it HAILED! Turned out beautiful though even in spite of. As long as youkeep a level head rain or shine, your wedding will be perfect. I'd look into the tents with sides and that's a great idea about putting them up a few days early. Then the ground will still be dry! Never thought of that. Gonna have to keep it in mind for our outdoor wedding.
  • How much does it cost to rent a tent with the drop down walls?  I'm considering an outdoor wedding in April but am very concerned about rain...  Do you ladies think it wouldn't be warm enough in April to have an outdoor wedding?? Any advice would be appreciated. 

• Rent a tent with the drop down sides, so they are there if needed. They will work great if the place where you are putting the tent is leveled.

I think it would be a great idea to check out your site right after it rains. I would look for any puddles, and be sure that they are not under where your tent would be for your wedding (to avoid the problem if it would rain on your wedding).

Wintercandy- You could check and see what the weather was like the year before in April..and if you expect it to be chilly, you can always rent outdoor tents with sides and rent a heater.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards