Outdoor Weddings
Options

Almost had a heart attack!!

I've started calling around for estimates for tents.  My jaw dropped to my knees when i heard the prices.  I really had no idea that they cost 1000 bucks and that doesnt include the site inspection or delivery.  We are on a low budget of 3,000 or so.  So far its been going great.  So i found an alternative.  Instead of tents, we have thought about canopies.  They arent as heavy a material as tents but they do come with the side walls for about 12 bucks a pice.  We were going to do one for the buffet and tables and another for dj and dance floor.  Do you think that canopies would be sufficient even though they arent as heavy weight as the tents? Thanks for the help!

Re: Almost had a heart attack!!

• Options
    I really should spell check **piece.  oh jeeze.
  • Options
    This is why we moved our outdoor reception in.  I know that is not what you want but its a thought.  We are renting a building with a ballroom for less than the cost of tents with sides and floors and heaters.  I really don't know about the canopies but remember that the tents are expensive because of their formalness too.  So if its not a really formal affair I guess it could work.  Its really a decision you and your fiance need to make based on the feel and look you want.  HTH. 10/10/10 Bride!! 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think canopies would be fine. When is your wedding? I would just be weary of the weather no matter of the direction your plan to go. Would it just be cheaper to have your reception indoors?
  • Options
    Our Wedding is next September.  I really dont want to move it indoors but thats something FI brought up tongight.  Its looking more and more like a possibility.  Cross your fingers we find something that works!!
  • Options
    I think it sounds beautiful, the major thing I would be concerned about is rain! Try calling the Hardware stores in your area. The one by us rents tents. We are on a very small budget as well, and going for a vintage, garden, laid back kinda feel... and tents are a huge thing. Keep calling around, I'm sure something will pop up. If you really want that outdoor airy feeling, there is nothing that will compare. Maybe you could do the canopies and just have a really good backup plan :)
    Rachel Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having the same dilemma, especially since my wedding will be almost exactly a year from now (7 Nov) in Puerto Rico and it was raining every day while I visited my FI there a week ago. Short little showers, ending in a few minutes, but wet nonetheless. For now, we're not renting a tent. I'll keep my eye on weather forecasts and, if push comes to shove, rent one a few days before or move the ceremony indoors. It'll mess up our budget if we have to rent it, especially since it would only be for the ceremony (the reception venue is somewhere else, about 15 mins away, indoors). But our ceremony site is very symbolic for us both: it's wehere we met. So it means a lot to get married there and I doubt we'll move it. I guess we'll end up with a last-minute tent if the weather forecasts don't look great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards