Outdoor Weddings
Options

New Knottie...Ceremony Chairs??

Hi everyone! We are looking at a September 8, 2013 wedding date and we really want to have our ceremony outside. The problem is, the venue charges an additional $350 for chair setup (in addition to the $300 just for a 45 minute ceremony). The coordinator told me I can avoid the $350 fee by setting up my own chairs, but isn't a rental company going to cost me more money?!? We are on a very tight budget, and I want a nice outdoor ceremony but is it ok to ask guests to stand for a short ceremony? Otherwise I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and move the ceremony indoors...

Help appreciated!!

Re: New Knottie...Ceremony Chairs??

• Options
    You should never ask guests to stand for the ceremony, no matter how short it is. You never know what kind of health problems people may have that make standing for even a short time difficult. You need to provide a seat for every butt!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_new-knottieceremony-chairs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:176399c9-89e6-4ec8-9838-61c77ff77b78Post:4118722d-31ff-4d67-bc59-d930270d8caf">New Knottie...Ceremony Chairs??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! We are looking at a September 8, 2013 wedding date and we really want to have our ceremony outside. The problem is, the venue charges an additional $350 for chair setup (in addition to the $300 just for a 45 minute ceremony). The coordinator told me I can avoid the $350 fee by setting up my own chairs, but isn't a rental company going to cost me more money?!? We are on a very tight budget, and I want a nice outdoor ceremony but is it ok to ask guests to stand for a short ceremony? Otherwise I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and move the ceremony indoors... Help appreciated!!
    Posted by briezb010[/QUOTE]
    No, it's not okay to ask (force) guests to stand, no matter how short the ceremony.

• Options
    I agree with previous posters. You need chairs for your ceremony.   Even if you have a very short ceremony, which would likely be 10-15 minutes, guests will arrive anywhere between 15-30 minutes early.  So, by not providing chairs, you are really asking them to stand for 30-45 minutes.

So, do this.  Go put on a nice dress and some heels.  And go stand in your front yard in one spot for 45 minutes.  You will quickly realize that you need to provide chairs.

Look around for rental companies.  You may be able to get them cheaper than that, if you go with basic white folding chairs. Also, if you belong to a church or have any contacts at a VFW or Fire Hall, sometimes they are willing to loan or rent their chairs.   You might still need to pay a delivery/pickup fee, but it may be less expensive than what the venue is charging you.
  • Options
    My husband has a really bad knee.  He's had one surgery already, and is waiting on a second one.  Standing for more than a few minutes is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful for him.  He is otherwise young and healthy, and you wouldn't know by looking at him that he has an injury.  Even if there were a few chairs available, he would rather die than sit while an elderly person, pregnant woman, or if I was still standing.   That's just how he was raised.  So yeah, he would probalby be in severe pain before your ceremony even started.  And then we'd have to go home and skip the reception.

Please have chairs.  If you can do it from a different company for less than $350, then go for it.  If not, then cut other things out to be able to fit chairs into your budget (cut back on flowers or photography, skip favors, etc).
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I would not want to stand for a wedding, especially not if it is a 45 minute ceremony. 

How many guests are you expecting?  You may be able to find chairs cheaper, but you will have to pay a delivery fee and taxes which can make prices go up. 

Does the coordinator mean you have to bring chairs from an outside vendor, or can you just set up the chairs that your location has on your own.  The fee may just be for labor to have someone actually set up the chairs where you want them.  May be an option?

Good luck!
  • Options
    Yeah I agree. I wouldn't want to stand for like an hour for a ceramoney
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards