Outdoor Weddings

Predicting weather...

I was wondering how everyone was "predicting" weather for their day. I live in Washington which makes it very nerve wrecking to pick a day that I think it won't rain. I came across a site called dryday.com and was wondering if anyone has used it. I can't find any reviews for it so I'm hesitant to input my credit card info to buy the prediction. We'd like our wedding to be sometime late July 2012 because early July can be sketchy when it comes to weather. I'd like to set a date soon and the Almanac only predicts out to Oct of this year. Did anyone use a website or how did you go about choosing a day?

Re: Predicting weather...

• You can look up weather trends on The Weather Channel  but it just tells you the average temperature, average rain fall, etc. No place can tell you 100% whether it will rain or not on that day. I chose a day in October because it is my favorite month and it is not too hot but I have a back up plan in case of rain. Just check the averages but always take those things with a grain of salt.
    Anniversary
  • Local news stations cannot accurately predict the weather 7 days in advance.  There is nothing or no one that accurately predict the weather months or even years in advance.  Save your money.

You can instead find trends online such as average monthly rainfall and average monthly temperatures.  Something like this might help you pick a month that is likely to be less rainy- however you can never know anything for sure.

Part of planning an outdoor event, is knowing that rain might be an issue.  You must have a back up plan, and embrace it!  Don't let yourself be disappointed if you are forced to go with your back up plan.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Don't waste your money!  Ditto everything cschuma2 said. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • The Weather Underground can give you historical rainfall, sunshine, and temperatures for your area.  If you look at the charts and graphs and see that it never or almost never rains around your wedding date, you're probably going to be fine.  Yes, you can never be sure 100%, but you can get a pretty good idea.

I wouldn't pay money for a predictor, personally, but some people swear by the Farmer's Almanac. 
  • Yeah, I know I'll never know for sure but I wanted to try and find the day that was least likely to rain. Thanks for all the input I'm checking out the weather channel and weather underground hopefully it'll give me some piece of mind about my choice.
  • Apparently if It was foggy in the winter 100 days before a date it will rain that day. My dad and brother are farmers and in the winter will right down when it is foggy.
  • I went on the Farmer's Almanac website and typed in our wedding date - but in previous years.  That way I could see what the weather was on that date in the last 10 years...shows temp and rainfall.  The rainfall is iffy...temperatures range from 78 to 90 on August 6th.  It's scary it if pours or it's 90 degrees, but that's our wedding date with an outside reception. 
  • I swear by the farmer's almanac, but it only goes a few months out. As my FI always says, "that's one thing you have absolutely no control over, so cross it off your list of things to worry about" :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards