Outdoor Weddings
Options

Outdoor Wedding Advice in Florida

So here is the deal.My wedding is in July and my fiance and I have our hearts set on an outdoor wedding... as in that was one of the first things he said and he didn't have many opinions at first but he wanted it outdoor. The issue is I have 2 grandparents who are sick and not doing well my grandma on my mom's side has melanoma and my grandpa on my dad's side has Emphysema and neither can be outside for very long due to their illnesses. Any ideas on how I can help them be comfortable while still getting my outdoor wedding? Before anyone thinks I am a horrible person, I am willing to budge on the outdoor wedding plan I would just rather explore all of my options first. Thanks! :D

Re: Outdoor Wedding Advice in Florida

• Options
    Maybe you could get parasols for your grandparents, to help keep the sun off of them. Also, because your getting married in Florida, in the middle of the summer heat, consider putting out water bottles, and those cute little fans for your guests. It would be terrible if one of your guests became ill due to the heat and exposure. If it's possible, I would consider having the wedding in the springtime or fall just to avoid that heatwave. I am having my FL wedding outdoors, and chose January to avoid any possibility of heat. Hope this helps:)
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Sorry, but an outdoor ceremony in Florida in July is going to be ROASTING.   I went to an INDOOR wedding in Florida in July and it was miserable, I can't imagine if it had been outdoors.  

I recommend the following (for ALL your guests, not just for the older ones).

1) Have a cool place for guests to hang out until the ceremony starts.  Indoor and air-conditioned would be ideal, but shady with misters or fans could work.   When you are ready to start, inform your guests that they can find their seats.  This way if you're late they aren't sitting outside.

2) Cold drinks are a must.  Water, tea, and lemonade would work.  You can set up a drink station if you want (coolers with cups) or someone here posted about having a small ice bucket at the end of each row of seats with bottled drinks in it to keep cool.

3) Parasols and hand fans, at least for the older guests (and your grandmother with melanoma)

4) Have your officiant make an announcement that gentlemen should feel free to remove their suit jackets (if they are wearing any) to keep cool.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    As another Floridian I would agree with Liatris.  There is another thing afternoon thunderstorms are a frequent occurance that time of year.
  • Options
    n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-advice-in-florida?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:699ec800-0a21-4a05-9cce-4f5288f27debPost:a127cdf8-4a5b-404d-9d2d-5d0af754ad82">Re: Outdoor Wedding Advice in Florida</a>:
    [QUOTE]As another Floridian I would agree with Liatris.  There is another thing afternoon thunderstorms are a frequent occurance that time of year.
    Posted by OurMrsReynolds[/QUOTE]

I would not do outdoor in july in florida.  I am getting married in april on the beach and i am having a hard time booking the venue.  I refuse to go past may.  I will get married 2014 if that the case!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards