Honeymoon Discussions

Florence and Rome!!!

We've decided on Italy for our HM...any suggestions on where to stay in Florence or Rome? Also, did anyone go to vineyard out there that they could recommend?  Thanks!!

Re: Florence and Rome!!!

• Ditto buying tickets - we did and it was pretty much a breeze, though there was a longish line to see David (nothing like the line for the Vatican though).

We stayed at the Hotel Beverly Hills in Rome (http://www.beverlyhotelrome.it/). I thought the location was awesome - lots of non-touristy restaurants and shops within walking distance, and I loved our rooms.  The staff was very friendly and good at directing us wherever we wanted to go (like the Borghese Museum), plus they would call cabs for us and let us know what the fare should be, then talk to our drivers.  The elevators are TINY though, so request a lower floor if you're claustrophobic or otherwise worried.  I know that some people in my group took the metro so I imagine it wasn't difficult to get to.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • SnippylynnSnippylynn member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2010
    I only stayed overnight in Florence once (I used to live only an hour away) and the hotel was really crazy, so I won't rec.  In Rome, I've stayed at the Hotel Raffaelo and at the Rose Palace.  Raffaelo is great if you want some true Old World European hotel flavor, and the location is GREAT.  Easy walking distance to all the major sites, but on a small side street so not loud or overrun at all.  Rose Palace is right next to the American Embassy and it's in the swanky district.  It's high end but it just didn't feel as warm to me.  The location isn't as easy either, imo. 

My tip-- walk each of these cities at night.  So amazing.  You can walk all over Palatine Hill (we only went as far as it was lit for obvious reasons), the streets and sites are empty and you can get some amazing photos, like this:
    />

/>

>
  • My son was married in Italy and we stayed to visit a few cities.  I guess it depends on the time of year- we were there the beginning of Sept. and didn't have any lines at the museums in Florence.  Also, we went to the Vatican on a morning that there was an audience with the Pope.  We are not Catholic and had no interest in that so we went to the museums, etc. and there was no wait at all!  People told us that on other days the line can be down the block!  So my tip is: while everyone is with the Pope go to the museums:)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_florence-rome?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:e004abe6-2efd-4f9e-9443-0bdebd1e9bbePost:083be2cf-ba85-4e0d-9378-f798d05a6728">Re: Florence and Rome!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check out Rick Steeves book on Italy.  In Rome a "hotel" may be only one floor of a building.  We stayed in a lovely place, but no elevator.  His book has great money saving ideas. <strong> PS. Remember, they won't let you in the Vatican if you are wearing those naughty American shorts!</strong>
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh. But so true. When I went to the Vatican last year we were in a group and a couple of the girls went against what the tour director had said and wore shorts and weren't allowed in. The vatican was an amazing experience =]

Sorry no recs on hotels. I was on a cruise so I stayed on the cruiseship every night. But I definitely second the rec to check out Rick Steves. He's never done me wrong :-]
  • We are going to Italy too!  Staying in Rome.  I 'm excited and can't wait.  I booked a B&B for 900 Euros for 6 nights.  I hope I made a good choice, I'll let you know when we get back! 

Teresa & Bill June 10, 2011
  • Not sure of what your budget is, but on the high end, I'd recommend the Hotel Bernini Bristol in Rome. It's right by the Piazza Barbarini. Gorgeous, old world opulence. No recs for Florence as we only did a day trip there.

Also, keep in mind that most museums are closed on Monday, so if you and your FI are big museum goers, plan your trip around that.

I also recommend checking out Rick Steves' books for hotel suggestions. We found two of our three hotels for our honeymoon in his guidebooks.

Good luck.
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions!!! Keep them coming :)
  • We stayed in amazing apartments in both Florence and Rome for really cheap. 

In Florence we were in a nice neighborhood, but a good distance from the "historic" Florence.  We liked the location and had great restaurants near us.  The apartment had a full kitchen, a washer, wireless, etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g187895-d1467731-Aurora_Charming_apartment_close_to_the_center-Florence_Tuscany.html#top

In Rome, we were right near the Vatican and a metro stop.  We thought it was a great location.  Very quiet and secluded and the apartment was amazing.  We had a huge bathtub, a big rooftop terrace, a washer, wireless, etc.

http://www.leisureinrome.com/luxury_apartments-in-san_pietro/vatican_apartment,S,440.html
    Vacation

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards