Outdoor Weddings

Chair alternatives?

Here's a couple that I've thought of already
1- use benches (but wouldn't they tilt just as much as a chair? Or would this not matter because the benches wouldn't have backs?)
2- prop up the front legs of the chairs to make them even. Maybe use plywood and make tiers and cover them with the grass you can buy and then roll in to your lawn. (this seems like an exhausting amount of work and really expensive)

Re: Chair alternatives?

• Are you having a short or small ceremony?  If so, maybe considering having people stand around you to avoid having them sit uncomfortable. 

Also, is the slope such that a chair / bench would be instable?  Honestly, if it were really not doable with chairs or benches or standing, I would find a new location for the ceremony.

Hm, if it's casual, bean bags?  Pricey option though.
  • casul options like bean bags wouldn't work because we're having a formal wedding. The ceremony will be relatively short but standing isn't an option because it's a very large guest list and if I were a guest at a wedding I wouldn't want to stand. I honestly don't know how bad the slope is because I looked at the space from my aunts deck. Like an idiot I didn't walk out on it but my mom and sister did and said that it's too steep for chairs. I'm going back there in a few weeks to actually test a chair and a bench out there to see what it would be like. I'm just trying to think of alternatives...
  • I know you don't want them, but hay bales covered in fabric may be a good solution.

I would be afraid of benches or chairs on a platform tipping as well.
  • What if you used benches that you could level out by digging the back legs into the ground?  This could work with chairs as well, but would proabbly take a lot longer. 
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I think bales of hay with lots of white fabric would look beautiful!  You gon't have to see the hay.. but I think it would be very dreamy!
    The Luckiest Bride to be Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I was thinking about digging out the legs too but it seems like a lot of work even for the benches and it could make things look a bit mucky...

The hay bales as much as I hate it are seeming like the only feesible option. Maybe if I covered them in a really silky/shiny material and wrapped the middle with a big ribbon... OMG am I really thinking about this? lol that might actually look really good.

Otherwise there's another spot on the property that's under a couple trees that will be in full bloom at that time. I don't know what they're called... they have flowers but no cherries.

Anyway I think I'll go buy some fabric and ribbon to dress up a hay bale and see what it looks like and test out the chairs on the hill when I get back out there in a few weeks.

Thanks for the input!
  • Do not use hay bales without checking with guests for allergies.
    Normally I believe guests can fend for themselves a little, but there are any many people who have severe hay allergies.  You don't want somebody whipping out an epi pen at your wedding.  I know I would spend the rest of my day worrying about them and not enjoying myself at all.  And a wedding is supposed to be about having fun and celebrating with your guests...not almost killing them.

If the hill is too steep then you may have to go with a more involved solution.
    You may be able to rent low line benches (they're sort of ottoman like, but would be closer to the ground limiting any tipping effect).  I've seen them at a wedding- they were beautiful and should fit a more formal style.
    You could also just make long boxes built to the inclined angle of the hill and cover with fabric- then you really would have the amphitheater feel.
    "It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • How would you go about the task of asking 300 + people if they're allergic to hay? I'm not sure I'd be able to get to every single person. Do you think phone calls? Or just hoping word of mouth will spread? How far away do people need to be away from hay if they're allergic? The reception will be held in a field next to the barn with a pasture right next to it... I'd have to find a different venue if someone was allergic wouldn't I?

I haven't been able to find benches for rent. Just the furniture type which I'd be afraid to get dirty. I've been looking in to having someone custom build benches but then I'd have 50 benches and nothing to do with them after the wedding.

• I have a really severe allergy to hay, but I'm okay as long as I dont make contact with it.  I wouldn't be able to sit on the bales, but I'd survive being at the wedding, etc.
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_chair-alternatives-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:898b28ee-fdc4-4962-b11c-65a85ef17304Post:81d949c2-01e7-4bcf-b08b-3194c9837a18">Re: Chair alternatives?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a really severe allergy to hay, but I'm okay as long as I dont make contact with it.  I wouldn't be able to sit on the bales, but I'd survive being at the wedding, etc.
    Posted by mia082683[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. Thanks! I guess if someone was allergic they could stand...
  • Use straw bales if you go that route, not hay bales. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aside from the whole allergy issue (which could be an issue for MANY people), anything flat would be unbalanced, and then you would just have a bunch of people tumbling down the hill rolling in hay (which wouldbe much worse than one or two chairs falling over). If you can't dig the back legs of chairs or benches into the ground (alot of parks and public places do not allow any kind of stakes or other things that would puncture the ground) then your best bet would probably be to look for another venue. I know its frustrating when you have a place in mind that would be perfect and then you have to start from square one, but it has to work. good luck!
  • Hay allergies vary drastically- there are many who only have contact allergies like mia does, but there are many who cannot be near it at all.
    My niece is severely allergic to hay.  If she's within about 2 feet of it, her throat will begin to close and out has to come the epi pen.  I also know several other people who have severe hay allergies, both contact only and otherwise.

Well srf- you didn't specify your number of guests originally, but if you're thinking of having 300+ guests at your wedding then you'd logistically never be able to contact all your guests to question them.  And I know you said you really didn't want that option anyway. 
    Like I said in my previous post, I've seen low benches (like really low ottomans) at a wedding before and they were on a bit of an incline.

If you can measure the angle of the incline you're dealing with we might be able to come up with some better suggestions for you.  You never know what others have seen or experienced...
    "It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • KarenLMKarenLM member
    First Comment
    Straw bales (or hay) will have to be covered in something a little more substanial than "soft, silky material".  It's "pokey", lol!  You wouldn't want your guests to be itching their backsides and legs all evening.  They should be covered with heavy blankets and quilts.  Bales in our area start at $4 a bale, seating would be for two...this could be expensive if you have a lot of guests, especially adding in the costs of blankets/quilts.  How far away is your wedding?  You may want to consider another location for the ceremony portion of your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards