Outdoor Weddings
Options

Picnic Table Ideas?

We're thinking if we do a modest wedding here we'd rent a picnic shelter at a local park for the reception because money is very tight and they're only like $100 a day and have lights, electricity and seating for 100 people...

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about making picnic tables look nice? Because of the attached bench I wonder. Just looking to see if anyone has any ideas? Looking for inspiration.
My blog
"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV

Re: Picnic Table Ideas?

• Options
    I would just dress them up the same as you would a banquet table. Nice linens, runner, some candles/flowers/whatever. If I went to a wedding like that, I'd think it was super cute.
  • Options
    I agree, you can make it as nice or casual as you want.

Trust me, when people arrive they will only notice what you have on the top of the tables, even when they sit down, if it's really cute, or expresses your personalities, it will be fine.

I've seen other brides worry about people being dressed up and getting their clothing snagged on the wood of the benches. Depending on how big a deal it might be, you could spread the word verbally that you will be using the tables provided by the park and people will dress accordingly. Don't fret about it or worry about it. People understand.
  • Options
    I would do something along the lines of a theme to tie the picnic tables into it. You could do a classic rustic theme with mason jars and burlap- kinda with a country vibe. Just because you're having the reception at the park to save money doesn't mean it has to "look" like you're doing it to save money.
  • Options
    We had a modest wedding at a park pavilion. For the picnic tables we used a natural muslin to cover and placed small fabric runners to add color.
  • Options
    I'm using a small gingham print runner (and by runner, I mean a 10in wide strip of fabric I cut myself with a rotary cutter so the edges were neat), some used books, and small flower arrangements on the table. I think total decor cost will be less than $200 for 16 tables. The gingham fabric was on sale for $1/yard, so I paid about $15 total for it. The tables could look nice for way less, I was just super picky about my vases and flowers :)
    Also, I'd check the condition of the benches. Ours are set to be repainted before the wedding, so we aren't to concerned with splinters, but it is something to consider. Oh, and we are renting chairs to go at each end, since I'm sure some of our older guests may have trouble getting in and out of the benches.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    As a guest I'd definitely prefer it if you did something to cover the benches -- even just a light fabric.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. We have about 12 picnic tables and I love the burlap and lace table runner, but then I felt like maybe I need to put down white linens, however I want to keep costs down. It's so hard to decide, but I think either way it will look cute. Like other people have said just do really fun centerpieces and that is what people are going to notice. I think going with either just a table runner or linens will make the centerpieces pop enough.
  • Options
    Doing this same thing-- pavilion, 12 picnic tables; doing lace and burlap runners with centerpiece on each
    Not putting anything down for people to sit on; anyone going to a 'picnic' reception shouldn't over dress anyhow; don't stress it ! (: look on pinterest & etsy for ideas
    GOOD LUCK !!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards