Outdoor Weddings

State Park Fiasco

This morning my fiance called the state park that we want to get married in. He asked lots of questions and we got all the answers we wanted except for one. Well we got the answer but we didn't like it. The park wont let us buy out the parking lot for the event, so people will have to pay per person as they enter the park. Its only $3-4 per person. Is it rude/rediculous to ask the guests to pay the entrance fee?

Re: State Park Fiasco

• I am going through this too. My DW is in Yosemite NP and there's a $20 fee per car to enter. Although it's rude, and I don't like it, this just comes with the territory in a NP wedding and there's no real way around it except to switch ceremony sites. I just added an insert in my invitations to let people know in advance, recommending that they carpool where possible to avoid the fee. This way if they have an issue with it they can opt out & there will be no surprises. So far I have had no complaints even with direct questioning of guests to "okay" it.
    We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fish bowl, year after year
  • I don't know if this is a good/feasible idea, it just popped into my head...

If you want to pay for your guests, could you assign someone the job of 'gatekeeper'?  Someone to be at the entrance of the park with your guestlist and pay for your guests when you arrive.  It may be more hassle than its worth, but it may be a way to pay for your guests if that is what you really want to do.

Otherwise, $3-4 per person is unlikely to be a problem for most of your guests, particulary those familiar with the national parks service.  You often (always?) have to pay a fee to enter.  You should run the situation by some trusted family and friends to get thier inital reactions as well.
  • laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I actually work in parks and have seen both done. I am not sure why though they haven't offered to tally guests to you wedding as they enter as this is a standard procedure in the parks we have had events in - even for races with 350+ guests! If they will do this make sure that they are provided with a ticket as proof so they dont get counted a 2nd time if they re-enter.
    Working in parks its basically LAW that no one can reserve a public area like restrooms or parking lots so there isn't much to do about that.

Try asking them to tally the guests and if they are reluctant offer to pre-pay for the RSVPs and settle up afterwards for any extras but still track how many RSVP and dont show so you dont over pay.
    Oops sorry - i voted NO but forgot to mention that you can notify guests of this and have reimbursement cash waiting for them at the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • what u can do is send the cash to your guests in the invite w/ a note...

or set up a voucher program w/ the park & send ur guests tickets for parking (then the park can turn to u w/ the bill?
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Yeah it's rude, a guest at a wedding shouldn't have to pay to enter the wedding, which is where the whole "cash bar argument" comes from. That they're your guests and shouldn't have to pay for anything to attend your wedding.

Is there anything you can work out with the park to pay in advance for your guests to enter the park or pay some sort of a group rate on their behalf so they can enter for free?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards