Outdoor Weddings
Options

Chairs for outdoor ceremony

My fiancee and I are having an outdoor ceremony in my grandparents' backyard.  Her yard can hold a 100ish and is beautiful.  Really excited to have the ceremony there.  Right now my family is having a debate.  My aunt says to put on the invitation "BYOC - bring your own chair".  I think this is tacky and do not want to do this.  I want to rent chairs and am in search of a local place that we can rent enough chairs.  My mom and grandma are worried that if it has rained prior to the wedding that chairs with four legs, such as rental chairs, will sink in to the ground.  My mom is thinking that when people bring their own chairs, they are going to bring the old school metal chairs with the weave back and bottom.  You know the ones I am talking about.  The ones my grandparents (God love them as I do) insist on carrying to every picnic, outdoor event and parade despite the newer, modern and more convenient lawn chairs with a carrying bag that also have four legs and if it had recently rained will also sink in to the ground.  My question for those who are having or had an outdoor ceremony, what kind of chairs did you rent and did they sink in to the ground?  Please help as I do not want BYOC on my wedding invitations!

Re: Chairs for outdoor ceremony

• Options
    im renting white folding chars at 1.50 a piece. for and extra $75 they will deliver set up and pick up the chairs also. it is an added expense and i wish i could find benches to use instead but i cannot. i've seen hay bales with fabric on them for outdoor seating? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 'Do what you Love and Love what you DO' visit my blog http://weddingnonsence.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BYOC is simply NOT acceptable.  Who wants to plan for months to have your wedding or reception perfect in all your color choices then have a menagerie of different colored, different height chairs be hauled in like you're going camping?  Rental chairs or covered hay bales are the way to go.  Chairs will actually be easier.  I'd rather have to put down sheets of plywood to support chairs in a rainwashed yard than have people haul in their own chairs.  Tell her you'd rather cut the food budget to pay for the chairs than do something so tacky as BYOC.
  • Options
    Agree with PP. Don't have guests bring their own chair. You can rent chairs for about $1.50 each. We are also doing this but my dad will be picking them up and all the GM/Ushers will help set up to save us the $75 delivery and set up charge.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Do not have people bring their own chairs.  It's tacky.  Also, if you are hoping to create some sort of "aisle" between the chairs, you can probably rule that out.    Its not like folks are going to be organized in the setup of their chairs.  They are going to take them out of the bags and plop them down. 

Rent the chairs.   Talk to the rental companies about which types of chairs do best with wet ground.  Some of them will have wider "feet" and may help with the sink factor. 
  • Options
    No no no, you're right to put your foot down about no BYOC. Rental chairs are not very expensive in comparison to some other expenses.

What is the backup plan in case of rain? Are you hiring a tent as well?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Incase of bad weather, we will have the ceremony in the officiant's church.  The reception is indoors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards