Outdoor Weddings
Options

Crazy to do Puerto Rico wedding in July '13?

Recently engaged, we want to do a destination wedding. I'm leaning towards Puerto Rico or have at least narrowed it down to the carribean. From what I've read, July seems to be an okay month with the usual daily tropical weather passing through but, am I crazy to consider a wedding in early July? We'd love the chance to save for a year and give our family more time but, I would just die if there was bad weather on my wedding day after going all that way. We live in Oregon so the odds aren't much better to get a sunny wedding day here. Any destination planners out there who can weigh in? 

Re: Crazy to do Puerto Rico wedding in July '13?

• Options
    I just went to a Puerto Rico wedding this past weekend - close enough to July.

The days in San Juan are HOT - well over 90 degrees.  If you want a day wedding, it better be inside.  They had an outside evening wedding, however, it was comfortable.  The reception was also outside on the beach so the breezes were great and it wasn't too hot at all.

If you are thinking somewhere on the south side of the island, it's hotter still and wouldn't be too fun for an outdoor wedding there.

It didn't rain once in the five days we were there in either San Juan or the south side.  It drizzled in the mountains so I suppose it depends on where you want to have the wedding and whether it's inside or not.
  • Options
    For an outdoor wedding you ALWAYS run the risk of inclement weather (not jus rain, but extreme temperatures) and you should ALWAYS have a back-up plan.  

I think if it's in the evening, it might not be too bad. If your dream wedding hinges on perfect weather, then you might want to reconsider.  But if you can deal with a little bit of rain or heat, then go for it:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    We honeymooned in San Juan the first week of May and it was gorgeous!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure July falls inside of hurricane season. If you can purchase some kind of insurance to avoid a hurricane wedding scenario I would recommend that.
  • Options
    July is so freaking hot and it's hurricane season.  Just my personal two cents.

Go for a shoulder season wedding in April when the weather is perfect and no threat of a hurricane.
  • Options
    i live in PR... I would recommend few nice places if you want a cozy small wedding here you will find couples nice restaurants our boutiques hotels. olive boutique hotel, Antonio's restaurant, ect If you want a big luxury wed; we have nice hotels like la Concha, El Convento, El conquistador. God luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards