Retro and Vintage Weddings

Vintage Jewelry

I am wearing my grandma's earrings she wore on her wedding day and that was 63 years ago.  They need to be cleaned, have any of you had to clean vintage jewelry, was it a success?  I'm almost thinking about not cleaning them at all.  If I decide to I will take it to a jeweler but I just don't want any of the stones to fall out.  Thanks for any advice!

Re: Vintage Jewelry

• I would be VERY careful about how you clean it...yes certainly take them to a jeweler and make sure to explain how very old and fragile they are.

I have some really neat vintage costume jewelry that I can't clean because it's all pasted into place. I could use a tiny bit of alcohol to clean them but I have to be careful.
    *Katie & David* July 22nd 2011 Our Shindig and Blog Updated Weekly! Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would look into antique jewelry dealers and see what they recomend doing.
  • YES, take it to a jeweler. I am wearing my great grandmother's jewelry and that is what I did. They did an amazing job and everything looks beautiful and shiny - like new. I would definitely go to a specialty jeweler though, rather than one of the cookie cutter chain jewelry stores. Here's how mine turned out:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just a warning. I wore my grandmother's necklace and it gave me a big rash! So many don't wear the earrings all night just in case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards