Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Unusal Honeymmoon Destinations

My FI and I wanted to go somewhere different for our honeymoon. Everyone usually goes to Hawaii, Carribean or Mexico. Where are some unique beautiful destinations for an amazing honeymoon?

Re: Unusal Honeymmoon Destinations

• Options
    When are you looking to travel? Some that come to mind are Seychelles, Maldives, Mauritius, Canary Islands, Cook Islands, Sri Lanka, Bali, Palau, New Caledonia. I guess it also depends on what your budget is- all of these places have airfare that is expensive. The Cook Islands aren't too bad- you can grab a ticket for around $800-$900 per person. Getting to the Seychelles will be more like $2000pp for air.

• Options
    Besides budget, it also depends on what you want to do while you are there. 
    We are going to Costa Rica, which isn't so unusal anymore.  But we are going to be active for part of it (volcano hike, zip line, etc.) and then head to the beach for relaxation.
    Other unusual places that we want to go to at some point are Iceland and the Azores.  Both are definitely different than your typical honeymoon destinations, but are not beach destinations.
  • Options
    One of my good friends went to New Zealand - not to sit in the beach, but to ski.  It's winter there in July. Her and her husband had a blast.
  • Options
    If you give us a budget and what types of things you want to do on your HM, we can give better and more specific suggestions.

For instance, a friend went to Africa for her HM and had the time of her life; however, this was a trip that cost them upwards of $15,000. An unsusual and great place for a HM, yes, but not in everyone's budget (definitely not in mine).

I've heard places in Canada are gorgeous, such as Whistler. Or I've always thought it'd be fun to rent a really nice cabin in the mountains in a place like Colorado. Both aren't typical HMs, but if it's not up your alley, you won't enjoy it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    We went to Ireland and had a blast (we got married there as well). It depends on your interests, style and budget. I know a couple who spent time in Africa volunteering for their honeymoon. You could go skiing in the Swiss Alps or take in the culinary culture of Dubrovnik. Turkey is also gorgeous.

If you give some more info about yourselves (where you've been before, BUDGET, interests, etc) I'll be able to help more
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What time of year, and what kind of budget?  Is the beach a necessity?

None of these are super unique, but more so than what you mentioned-Thailand, New Zealand, Seychelles (maybe combined w/ an African Safari?)...Turkey, Croatia, Morocco, Greek Islands....Cape Cod, Napa Valley (then a road trip down the Cali coast?)....Iceland....Quebec City is gorgeous and romantic.  Paris??   
  • Options
    FI and I are sports nuts and are getting married while both of our favorite hometown teams are in season, so we're following them to every city and going to all their games for 2 weeks. Then we'll get to see a little bit of alot of different places, and we love the hustle and bustle of travelling :)
  • Options
    One of FI's friends flew to New Zealand, rented an RV, and drove across the country. We strongly considered Banff National Park for our honeymoon for a couple of months before settling on something in the Caribbiean.
  • Options
    We just booked our trip to Ireland & Scotland. FI isn't a big beach person and we just went to Aruba for a wedding in March, so we were looking for something different.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_unusal-honeymmoon-destinations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:e5d3f633-31aa-4d6b-8848-9e9a4602d932Post:99c539e9-d83a-44fa-bec3-bcdf8ba517e6">Re: Unusal Honeymmoon Destinations</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're planning on going to  Dubai and Abu Dhabi, but our wedding is March 2.  Later spring and summer it gets crazy hot there.  Flights aren't too bad, from KC we've found as low as $1500 per person, but we're planning on splurging and flying Emirates, which tacks on an extra $200-$300.  Hotel wise, from the research I've done, I'd plan on budgeting at least $350 a night for Dubai, but a little less for Abu Dhabi.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We're going to Dubai also, for a few days then going to the Maldives for 9 days.  It really depends on your budget as flights and hotels can add up.  We are flying emirates as well and heard great things about the airline.  Very excited.  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_unusal-honeymmoon-destinations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e5d3f633-31aa-4d6b-8848-9e9a4602d932Post:c7797ee8-dca9-4875-83bc-3ce235ba94c3">Re: Unusal Honeymmoon Destinations</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unusal Honeymmoon Destinations : We're going to Dubai also, for a few days then going to the Maldives for 9 days.  It really depends on your budget as flights and hotels can add up.  We are flying emirates as well and heard great things about the airline.  Very excited.  
    Posted by mrsR12[/QUOTE]

Definitely post about your trip when you get back! We would have loved to go to the Maldives for our HM, but we're doing a destination wedding and wanted our DW ceremony to be legal. We're now hoping to go in late 2013!

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I just got back from Thailand. I think that qualifies as unusual.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I'd suggest looking into Newfoundland - it's so beautiful.  Lots of active things to do: hiking, kayaking, etc. as well as "tourist-y stuff" (i.e. shopping, boat excursions).  The west coast of NL (Gros Morne Park) is unbelievable - mountains, the ocean, fjords, etc.  The east coast has a larger city (St. John's) with lots of bar hopping and great restaurants.   Tons of wildlife as well.. whales, moose, puffins, seals.   Most of the shorelines are rocky - but there is one soft white sand beach in the northern part of Gros Morne.
    ~*June 2013 Sig Challenge: Our Cake*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Iceland, Croatia, Costa Rica, Switzerland, Belize
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Those are some great ideas. Our budget is no more than $10,000. We decided to splurge a little because we've both never been out of the country. Also, we would like something that is active (hikes, bike rides, etc.) but also have some relaxation.
  • Options
    What about Alaska? They have plenty of parks to hike in. I have heard great things about taking the train and even fishing excersions.

We are doing Yellowstone along with horseback riding,fishing, and a rodeo.

Put together a list of what you would like to do and match up a location with that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We're going to Paris, Cinque Terre and Rome.  I feel like that is unusual because most of the posts I see on here are going to beach destinations.  We're going in November and it's costing us around $2000/person for flight and hotels and transportation.  We're staying in apartments to keep the cost down.  Highly recommended.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    blubuildingblubuilding member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_unusal-honeymmoon-destinations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e5d3f633-31aa-4d6b-8848-9e9a4602d932Post:adc5822d-5453-48bd-a3a4-505c84c56347">Re: Unusal Honeymmoon Destinations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! Those are some great ideas. Our budget is no more than $10,000. We decided to splurge a little because we've both never been out of the country. Also, we would like something that is active (hikes, bike rides, etc.) but also have some relaxation.
    Posted by SouthernBride17[/QUOTE]

Then Iceland might interest you. FI and I went there last summer. The landscape is like none other with so many beautiful places to hike.

Palau is the diving paradise. Recommended.

I sent my mom to Costa Rica through Wild Planet Adventures. She loved getting an all access pass through the jungle.
  • Options
    You might want to look at these lists to see if any place stands out. http://wedding.theknot.com/honeymoons/honeymoon-planning/articles/50-best-honeymoon-spots.aspx
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Ok thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards