Retro and Vintage Weddings

Thrifted Plates and Silverware

My FI and I are having a rustic, vintage, thrifted wedding ceremony and reception. The hall we have is AWESOME and we're catering in BBQ. The problem I have is with the hall. They have paper plates, plasticware, and plastic cups. Those are all things I do not want.

Has anyone ever thrifted plates and silverware for a wedding before? We're looking to have around 100-125 people. I contacted a rental company and their price per setting was $3.75 ( plate, knife, fork, spoon) I can easily buy plates at any area thrift store for $0.25 and silverware for $0.10 a piece, making it $0.55 per place setting. That makes the difference $375-$470 or $55-$70.

Granted, I may have to wash them all myself after, but I think it would be cheaper ( greener!) and play into the feel of the day.

Thoughts?

Re: Thrifted Plates and Silverware

• Does the caterer not provide your silverware, and dishes? Many do.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • I was thinking of doing the exact same thing! I definitely think it is greener!
  • I've seen a lot of women do that too. The issue with that is 

1. Do you have the time to shop endlessly until you find the # of plates, cups & flatware you need? {I know I don't}

2. Who will clean them before & after?

3. What will you do with 125 placesettings after?

I absolutely adore the look of it. I think it's just beautiful. For me, though, it wasn't worth the hassle. If I was having a smaller wedding of 30-40 people and already had a good amount of the place settings, then no problem. We're having 90 and it's just not possible.
  • Yes, I've done it. I went one weekend and hit up several thrift shops and collected enough plates and cups for about 50 people. So if you're willing to devote atleast 2 weekends looking for them, it can be done. I ended up not needing any of it, because I found a caterer that included it all with their package. I resold almost everything to other brides using weddingbee. 

I think it is a great idea, and it would look awesome, and is most definitely greener. Good luck!

*So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They provide real plates and silverware for the head table, but everyone else is stuck with paper plates and plasticware.
  • I thrift, a lot. I really do. If I can pick up 10-15 plates every time I go, that is only 10 or less trips. I could do that in three months, easy. As for silverware, I could have bought out Goodwill last time I was there and have double what I needed.  As for washing them before, an initial wash when I get them home would suffice until game time. Then wash them again day or so before then drop them off at the hall the day before. Should be good to go. And after the wedding, maybe a rummage sale of back to goodwill.
  • I think you've hit upon a good idea, and since you already have thrifting experience, you know how to get it done.

Do you have freecycle groups in Detroit?  Freecycle is a Yahoo! group -- you join free (you need a Yahoo! account) and post for things you're seeking and receive posts re: items people are getting rid of.  The premise of freecycle is to recycle usable things instead of throwing them away.  Anyhoo ... It might be a quicker way to assemble the number of placesettings, utensils and glassware you need. 

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards