Retro and Vintage Weddings

Vintage Theme

Planning 50's vintage influence.  Not too much, just some little touches.    We thought that we'd put a strand of costume pearls at each female guest's seating and black bow tie at each mail guest's seat so that if they want to wear it, everyone would be able to join in on the theme.  However, we don't want to do anything too cheesy, so I need input.  Thank you!!!!

Re: Vintage Theme

• Sounds really cute and fun to me, especially since you aren't directly asking them to wear it. It wouldn't be quite as fun if it was mandatory, ya know? It does sound kind of unnecessarily expensive, but if you have the budget for it, I'd say go for it.

What other touches are you having? This doesn't matter to your question, I'm just a nosy fellow-vintage fan :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hi, Thank you for your positive input.  We (my fiance mostly) is still struggling with whether or not we should do bow ties or whether the guys will think it's a bother, especially if they are wearing a tie...but then again, it wouldn't be mandatory.  It's actually not too budget busting.  I found inexpensive bow times on amazon.com and I already ordered the pear strands from another website and they look good...not to cheap looking.  

Other touches -- Our minor accent color is Tiffany blue.  We haven't ordered our cake yet, but might have TIffany blue ribbon around the bottom of each tier..  

We have thought about have a movie screen in an area - -(not sure where) and have a black and white moving showing, but without the sound...We might not be able to do that though if the cost of a screen and projector are too high.

• I think your ideas are original & cute. I'm assuming you know your guests and whether they'd "play along" or not. But it doesn't sound as though you will be disappointed if they don't.

Since you are considering a 1950's movie type theme, maybe name your tables for movie stars of that era: Marilyn Monroe, Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Humphrey Bogart, Rock Hudson. You could have their picture as your table "number" and a Tiffany Blue painted frame.

LIFE magazine was really popular then, you could use their magazine covers, or something else, in another part of the reception. Their covers were always classic, not silly.

As someone born in the 1950's (arrrgggh), you could also have if you wanted, a sweets table with the types of candy we had back then: candy cigarettes, NECCO wafers, candy buttons on paper, wax lips. Some of the candy is still popular, like Good n Plenty, Boston Baked Beans. There are many online shops that sell nostalgic candies.

Good luck. Sounds like fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_vintage-theme-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:84cf3649-eab1-40d4-b1d6-0616ee41456fPost:4d383bd6-e017-44d6-9580-7b1e584545be">Re: Vintage Theme</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your ideas are original & cute. I'm assuming you know your guests and whether they'd "play along" or not. But it doesn't sound as though you will be disappointed if they don't. Since you are considering a 1950's movie type theme, maybe name your tables for movie stars of that era: Marilyn Monroe, Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Humphrey Bogart, Rock Hudson. You could have their picture as your table "number" and a Tiffany Blue painted frame. LIFE magazine was really popular then, you could use their magazine covers, or something else, in another part of the reception. Their covers were always classic, not silly. As someone born in the 1950's (arrrgggh), <strong>you could also have if you wanted, a sweets table with the types of candy we had back then: candy cigarettes, NECCO wafers, candy buttons on paper, wax lips. </strong>Some of the candy is still popular, like Good n Plenty, Boston Baked Beans. There are many online shops that sell nostalgic candies. Good luck. Sounds like fun.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness this is a FANTASIC idea! I also LOVE the bowtie and necklace idea. I'm giving away vintage hankies for during the ceremony I was alo considering mall bottles of wine and/or sparkling cider but this candy bar sounds SO MUCH better! The awesome thing is I have a dollar store that sells the boxed candy for a buck each(and they are in big boxes) I was also thinking swizzle sticks in mason jars.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_vintage-theme-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:84cf3649-eab1-40d4-b1d6-0616ee41456fPost:552b673f-06fc-43c9-8d8d-7bd9e9315511">Re: Vintage Theme</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, Thank you for your positive input.  We (my fiance mostly) is still struggling with whether or not we should do bow ties or whether the guys will think it's a bother, especially if they are wearing a tie...but then again, it wouldn't be mandatory.  It's actually not too budget busting.  I found inexpensive bow times on amazon.com and I already ordered the pear strands from another website and they look good...not to cheap looking.   Other touches -- Our minor accent color is Tiffany blue.  We haven't ordered our cake yet, but might have TIffany blue ribbon around the bottom of each tier..   We have thought about have a movie screen in an area - -(not sure where) and have a black and white moving showing, but without the sound...We might not be able to do that though if the cost of a screen and projector are too high.
    Posted by grasshopper026[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>See if one of your friends or family members may have one hiding in their homes. I'm thinking old real to real type. Or if you happen to have a "teacher" they have school issued projectors that work with a laptop that you could just project onto an empty wall, maybe they could "borrow" it from their classroom for the weekend. :) 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards