Retro and Vintage Weddings

Photog Question:

This isn't strictly vintage related, but just a general wedding question. 

So, I found a photographer that I adore, met with her, and I definitely want to book her.  She's a little bit more than I would like to spend, but still within the upper range of my budget.  

So, she wants a deposit for half to secure the date, and then the second half two weeks before the wedding.  I thought that this sounded reasonable, but FI is feeling uncomfortable about paying her before she does any work.  

My question is for those of you who have already booked your photographer: how are you doing your payments?  Does my photographer have a normal policy, or is this weird?  Any advice would be much appreciated!  Thank you!  

Re: Photog Question:

• I haven't found my photographer yet, but I believe my brother had paid his in full by the day of the wedding, but she didn't get a tip until afterwards when the pictures were delivered. 
  • ditto pps. 1/3 to secure the date (deposit), 1/3 2 weeks before the wedding, 1/3 due when he hands my pictures over to me after the wedding. i agree with your FI, that sounds a little sketchy

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • We haven't booked a photographer, but our DJ has a similar payment plan as your photographer. Half now as a deposit, and the rest three weeks before the event. But they are an established company so I'm not worried they'll rip me off. If it was an independent DJ I would be nervous about paying it all up-front.
    Sunshine_zps3fcf529f BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited February 2010
    I actually don't think it's unusual at all. My photographer required 1/3 as deposit and the rest 2 weeks before the wedding. The three other photographers we considered had the same policy. These are photogs with great reputations, though. I wouldn't consider paying in advance if I had any concerns about the quality of the product. I would have paid my photographer full amount for a deposit because I wanted him that bad.

And for what it's worth, I was watching People's Court a couple weeks ago (for some reason I'm a dork and like that show). A photographer was suing a client for failing to pay. The judge told the photographer that he should get full payment BEFORE rendering services to avoid these kinds of situations and told him that was standard practice.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the input, everybody.  It is an established photographer who has a great portfolio and has shot many weddings in my area (they book up to 2 years in advance during wedding season!).  I am not really concerned about having a no-show, but I can see why people might be.  Hmm...things to think about...at any rate, you have all given me helpful perspectives!   

Happy go Lucky: If the people's court says it, it can't be wrong!  Also, I was stalking your bio, and I have to say, I have been admiring your photographer's work for years!  Lucky lady!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards