Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Newbie Intro and a Question

Hello, everyone!  I am new to this board, as FI and I decided to change from a DW to a hometown celebration due to money issues.  Our current date is May 25, 2013, depending on the availability of our potential venues.  We are going to look at a local barn venue next week, and hopefully it will be the one.  I am really hoping you all can help give me some direction because I feel like I'm drowning a little bit! :(

We are going for a rustic/vintage theme, which has also changed a bit since we first started planning...and this is where my problem begins.  I feel like I'm mixing themes since I've looked at so many elements I like, and I'm going crazy!  What we have actually purchased so far is a few antique wooden drink crates (Pepsi, Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, and Canada Dry) and a couple of other, smaller wooden boxes.  Now, here are the other elements I like/am wanting to incorporate:  antique skeleton keys, old books, mason jars, some branches and various flowers, and maybe some medicine bottles or other vintage bottles/vases. The things I like but am not sure that fit are wine barrels (as a base for food tables and scattered around) and things with some sort of script on them (French or it could even be illegible, for certain elements and the invites).

As far as colors go, I started out limiting them to about 3-4, but I soon realized that with the colors of the wooden crates, books, etc. that I really can't limit colors.  I was thinking to go with flowers that are an array of muted, natural colors, but to focus on a light/celedon-ish green for the sash to my dress and my daughters' dresses. But here is my issue with colors: my e-ring center stone is a black diamond, and FI and I really like the color black. But with my theme, I just don't know if black can be worked in! What do you all think about incorporating black?

Thank you all so much for reading and for any ideas/websites/pics/direction you all can give me!   :)
Kristi

Re: Newbie Intro and a Question

• Options
    melntaittmelntaitt member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Hi there and welcome!

I'm not a frequent poster but from the elements you have it seems like you're heading in the right direction. Remember that the more things you choose to incorporate the more difficult the tasks will be. Are you planning to DIY alot of your stuff or are you planning on having professionals manage the small details? Keep in mind the factors that are most important to you and build on that - that's the best advice I can give you. For example, the mason jars are a great place to start because they're so versatile - you can serve drinks in them, put candles in them, put favors in them, etc.

When you begin throwing everything in there that you love you will find yourself in a very interesting position once the smoke settles; you're pretty far out too so you might also be overwhelmed! 

What colors do you like with green? Green can go with black...Check out TK articles on combining the colors, they're pretty helpful!

Share what you come up with in terms of inspiration boards; they really do help get your ideas together and make sure they don't clash. Good luck!

Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think you are headed towards a shabby chic theme. It sounds lovely and the elements do fit together, in my opinion! As the PP said, you are still really far out, so you have a lot of time to collect ideas and put them together. Try creating your own inspiration board by putting together pictures and elements that you like, that can help give you a vision. As far as adding black is concerned, it doesn't really fit the shabby chic direction you're going for. But what I would do if I were before nixing it completely, is do some searched on google for weddings with similiar inspiration and add the color black to your search to see if you can find any other weddings/inspiration for direction in possibly including black. Good luck!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Congratulations!!

Check out stylemepretty.com for inspiration ... I found a couple of elements (cake topper, canopy) we incorporated into our outdoor wedding.  Plus, its fun to see all the fun things others have used.  Whether you l lean toward vintage, rustic, shabby chic or something in between, stylemepretty.com likely has something cool you'd never thought of before.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards