Florida-South Florida
Options

Steel Drummer? and DJ Billman? thoughts??

Hi ladies!  So i'm finally getting "back" in gear... as my ticker keeps ticking away! I feel SO BEHIND :(:(  going back to school is always hectic,.. but we are trying to book a steel drummer & DJ asap...

I've looked at Bob Lyons for steel drums... we want a steel drummer for the ceremony/cocktail hour since it's right on the intracoastal & our whole wedding has a beachy theme... he is $450 for 2 hours.  Anyone ever use him?  Seen him?  Any reviews?  Or anyone know of any other companies w/ a good steel drummer??

For the DJ we looked into Kenny Mondo, but he is on the expensive side.  DJ Billman is very reasonable ($550 for 4 hours) so I wanted to know what you ladies have thought of him?  And also, if you have used his company - has he been the DJ? Or was it one of his other DJ's??  Just wondering if he isn't available who another one of his good DJ's would be.  He did say that he has DJs available on our day and so far it's looking like we'll go with his company. 

Any help would be great!  TIA!!  :):)
***February Challenge (South FL Board)*** Me & my FI imageOur Wedding Website: Updated September 18, 2011 155 Invited imageimage 129 Are coming to celebrate! image 26 We'll miss you! image 0 Slackers! RSVP Date: January 9, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Steel Drummer? and DJ Billman? thoughts??

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Christina (CMP1986) is using them for her October 22nd wedding. He is my #1 contender right now. If you have time, you can wait for Christina's review of him (I can tell you what I think of him too as I will be there). 

I'm no help on the steel drummer although I'd love one!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ooooh faith i'd love to wait but oct 22 is pushing it for me... just because our wedding is during a popular weekend (president's day!) so i'd like to book asap (i've been putting it off for a while)... but i definitely still need reviews after her wedding!! 
    ***February Challenge (South FL Board)*** Me & my FI imageOur Wedding Website: Updated September 18, 2011 155 Invited imageimage 129 Are coming to celebrate! image 26 We'll miss you! image 0 Slackers! RSVP Date: January 9, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel you!! I liked Kenny Mondo but felt they were a little pricey too. DJ Billman has been in the business a long time, has been kind and prompt with his emails, and Christina has spoke with a friend who hired him for her wedding who said he was good!

Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you for the info -- do you know if it was actually DJ billman or was it one of his DJs that work for him??
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ehh.. I think it was DJ Billman himself. Christina would probably be of more help but I think she's sleeping right now (she works the night shift!). I'm sure she'll be around to comment later!

• Options
    mrsmustard12mrsmustard12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using a steel drummer from Master Musicians since I'm also using their guitarist.  I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around there.  Check them out!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm here! Thank you Faithy (my trusty helper/assistant) Wink

My friend used him for her wedding in April. He was the actual DJ that was there for her wedding day. He is also the DJ that will be doing my wedding day. He usually does all the events, but will send another one of his DJ's if a situation were to arise. My friend said he was great! He played the songs she wanted to and didn't talk a lot (some DJ's just won't shut up). He got the crowd going and got everyone on the dance floor. Her husband said that during their first dance he didn't tell everyone to join in towards the end. But that could of been a lack of communication.

I am having him do my ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. I've met with him a handful of times and he's a very nice guy. Like you mentioned he has great prices and has been in the business for a long time. He always emails me back within a day or two at the most. He's very helpful with suggestions and tips. But as Faith mentioned, we will be more than happy to give you reviews after my wedding. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the feedback christina... well i heard back from him again this morning (he really is great w/ the communication)... but unfortunately HE is booked on my wedding day :(:(:(   he said he has other DJ's available and he works closely w/ them, so we will see... he is so affordable so i really hope that i like one of his DJ's... i heard back from vision DJ's and they were $300 more!!! 
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_steel-drummer-dj-billman-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:064dc771-23e1-467c-be95-023123893bc5Post:17778a27-bbfd-434e-83bf-05135ee5966d">Re: Steel Drummer? and DJ Billman? thoughts??</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks for the feedback christina... well i heard back from him again this morning (he really is great w/ the communication)... but unfortunately HE is booked on my wedding day :( :( :(   he said he has other DJ's available and he works closely w/ them, so we will see... he is so affordable so i really hope that i like one of his DJ's... i heard back from vision DJ's and they were $300 more!!! 
    Posted by mfields83[/QUOTE]
    That sucks that he was already booked. But hopefully one of the DJ's he recommended will work out. GL with the DJ search!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards