Florida-South Florida
Options

Tips for sticking to budget/cut costs?

Would it be cheesy just to have one actual favor -mini cupcakes in mini boxes and nothing else? Food & Bev. is what it is at a hotel so you have to pay and I negotiated as much as I could there.I am nervous about going over budget. We simply wouldn't be able to do it.  How are you ladies cutting costs?

Re: Tips for sticking to budget/cut costs?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the mini cupcake favor idea. No need to buy expensive coasters with a picture of you and your FI no one will ever use. Do the mini cupcakes make the frosting match your colors. No biggie.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not at all tacky if your favors are mini-cupcakes.  I think most would agree that people usually toss out favors soon after the wedding or don't care about them.  Besides, mini-cupcakes sound adorable!Let's see . . . if you don't need additional lighting, don't get it.  If you don't need or want something from a photo package, ask to take it off (and get your quote lowered).  I dunno what else . . . sorry!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The biggest piece of advice I can offer is that while there are a lot of great ideas on here, this site can also make you feel like your wedding will be lacking if you don't do a ton of little things. Keep yourself focused on what's really important and let other stuff - like custom napkins, coasters, etc. - become extra if the money is there.In the end, no one is going to notice or comment if you don't use custom postage stamps or if they use plain napkins for their drinks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    rrive008rrive008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of all the weddings I've been to, I have not kept any favors! and if you ask me what they were I wouldn't be able to tell you. Unless its food (fatty here, thanks), It doesn't stick in my mind after the wedding.definteley a cost saver!
  • Options
    rrive008rrive008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hello spellcheck...definitely*
  • Options
    PinkShoesGalPinkShoesGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The mini cupcakes sound great! I prefer edible favors because like everyone has already said, no actually remembers to take or use favors. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where **gasp** there weren't any favors. Trust me, I think I am the only one who noticed.We are cutting tons of costs but we are choosing to stick with our venue's linens and chairs, not doing anything extra like a photobooth, coffee cart, etc, not having any floral arrangements at the church, negotiated with DJ to throw in an hour of music free for cocktail hour so we didn't hire musicians, planning a casual RD, and  making our own chocalate favors.
    TTC since May 2011 "Natural" BFP 1/2/2012 with cp 1/5/2012 5/2012: SA and CD 3 bloodwork perfect 6/2012: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN 8/2012: HSG all clear. Clomid TI cycle canceled due to thin lining 9/2012: Lap and Hysteroscopy: mild endo, uterine fibroids and septum, and ovarian cyst all removed
  • Options
    Kitty315Kitty315 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ^ Amen!Also, you can cut down the hours the bar is open for. You can see if you can save some money by eliminating bar for the last hour of your reception. Ex: You have a 4hr reception ending at midnight, ask if you can close the bar at 11 so it's only open for 3 hours. For florals you can use the less popular/expensive flowers to cut sosts. Your florist should be able to help you with that one.If I think of anything else, I'll post. GL!
  • Options
    Kitty315Kitty315 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dang all the posts..lol. The Amen was for Melissa's post. =P
  • Options
    PinkShoesGalPinkShoesGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooops, I meant we aren't cutting tons of costs.....
    TTC since May 2011 "Natural" BFP 1/2/2012 with cp 1/5/2012 5/2012: SA and CD 3 bloodwork perfect 6/2012: Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN 8/2012: HSG all clear. Clomid TI cycle canceled due to thin lining 9/2012: Lap and Hysteroscopy: mild endo, uterine fibroids and septum, and ovarian cyst all removed
  • Options
    jennej24jennej24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the cupcake idea, I am defintely doing an edible favor. Either a pretty cookie wrapped and on the taable or a cookie bar probably. For me I think it is the little things that add up. When you are having a wedding and spending so much money being $200 over budget in one area or adding something that costs $100 doesn't seem like much, but when you do that everywhere it really starts to add up.
  • Options
    muddiliciousmuddilicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cut cost by realizing that I don't HAVE to have anything.  You don't even have to have favors.  People say it time and time again.  90% of your guests won't miss it.  That being said, mini cupcakes seem nice, but expensive.  Are they in lieu of a cake?Lots of inexpenisve favors include: chocolates (gotten at outlets or on sale), homemade cookies, and CD's with the couples favor love songs.
  • Options
    muddiliciousmuddilicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, ditto Melissa's sentiment.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's my big budget saver - non-floral centerpieces10 centerpieces with a hurricane vase, big pillar candle, a 3" starfish and sand = $200
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My biggest coster cutter getting my dress at Alfred Angelo Outlet in Deerfield Beach. Dress is AMAZING, but discontined style so it was over 50% off. Plus some of the dicontinued styles seem to be of better quality and more classic design. Next, instead of name cards for seating, make a sheet (on your own computer) and display it in a nice picture frame and stand, and have it displayed at coctail hour and at reception, so people can just look up what table they are at. Great idea my florist gave me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards