Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honeymoon booking regrets

We booked a 10 day honeymoon in Negril, Jamaica for a total of over 6000. I'm now feeling like it's a ripoff, adding up estimates for what it would cost us elsewhere, maybe not on an all-inclusive resort. We're flying out of STL and staying in the cheapest rooms at the Sandals resort. What do you think? Alternatives for a good beach honeymoon?

Re: Honeymoon booking regrets

• Options
    I have always heard that Sandals is overpriced and many other AIs are nicer and cheaper. Were you thinking of cancelling? Will you be out any money?

If you can cancel without losing money, I would. I have not personally been to an AI or Jamaica, but my best friend HMed in Montego Bay at a Couples resort there and they absolutely loved it!

If your heart wasn't set on Jamaica, Mexico has some beautiful AIs. My ILs stayed at Dreams Los Cabos and loved it and they also stayed at a Dreams Resort on the Riviera Maya and loved that one even more (they said they loved that side of Mexico more). There are other options! Definitely look around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Sandals is overpriced in my opinion.  I understand that it is all-inclusive but the prices they offer just seem a bit ridiculous...I think that I would have to non-stop eat and drink the entire time I am there to get my money's worth.

• Options
    Will you lose money by canceling? If not, I would. Like PP I would check out Mexico. For $6k you could get top of the line luxury. Our budget is $3k and we're getting much more than the basic room at a nice resort.
  • Options
    OP, I know EXACTLY how you're feeling! We booked for 10 days at Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia. We're staying in the third lowest room (it's not even conceierge) level yet, but our T.A. said it's in a much better location. I'm having major buyers remorse because it's just SO MUCH money. And, there are some pretty bad reviews from people who don't have butler service. We have trip insurance so I don't *think* cancelling will be an issue. I really need to call our T.A. and get some of this stuff figured out.

Some of my friends traveled to Riveria Maya and stayed in the Secrets AIs. They really loved it. I've been to Mexico about 15 times so wanted somewhere different. FI hasn't been anywhere so he's up for anything. Argh!

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Ditto what other PPs said. We are honeymooning for 9 days and staying in absolute top-of-the-line luxury on the Riviera Maya in a concierge level room at an AI right on the beach.  We have a beachfront suite with a private pool and a jacuzzi with an included honeymoon package with tons of extras (including couples massages and a bottle of champagne every day) and paying less than you are for your Sandals trip.

I have never been to Sandals, so I can't give any sort of opinion on what it is like, and many girls on this board absolutely love Sandals and have great experiences there.  If you are excited about the trip, and it is exactly what you want, then I don't think there is anything wrong with paying that much for your dream trip. 

if you are regretting booking it, then look into some other options.  I would just say, there is no harm in exploring your options and comparing what you could get at different resorts for the same price as your Sandals vacation.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-booking-regrets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f322edb4-827b-43b8-ab7c-2c907991ebd5Post:af5a3c0f-3320-41b5-8921-6b75e53e9df7">Re: Honeymoon booking regrets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto what other PPs said. We are honeymooning for 9 days and staying in absolute top-of-the-line luxury on the Riviera Maya in a concierge level room at an AI right on the beach.  We have a beachfront suite with a private pool and a jacuzzi with an included honeymoon package with tons of extras (including couples massages and a bottle of champagne every day) and paying less than you are for your Sandals trip. I have never been to Sandals, so I can't give any sort of opinion on what it is like, and many girls on this board absolutely love Sandals and have great experiences there.  If you are excited about the trip, and it is exactly what you want, then I don't think there is anything wrong with paying that much for your dream trip.  if you are regretting booking it, then look into some other options.  I would just say, there is no harm in exploring your options and comparing what you could get at different resorts for the same price as your Sandals vacation.
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]
    Where are you staying?

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-booking-regrets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:f322edb4-827b-43b8-ab7c-2c907991ebd5Post:0603a9e4-3426-44ba-ad36-2fb3a4a2f810">Re: Honeymoon booking regrets</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, I know EXACTLY how you're feeling! We booked for 10 days at <strong>Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia</strong>. We're staying in the third lowest room (it's not even conceierge) level yet, but our T.A. said it's in a much better location. I'm having major buyers remorse because it's just SO MUCH money. And, there are some pretty bad reviews from people who don't have butler service. We have trip insurance so I don't *think* cancelling will be an issue. I really need to call our T.A. and get some of this stuff figured out. Some of my friends traveled to Riveria Maya and stayed in the Secrets AIs. They really loved it. I've been to Mexico about 15 times so wanted somewhere different. FI hasn't been anywhere so he's up for anything. Argh!
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

A co-worker of mine actually honeymooned here and said it was worth every penny, if that makes you feel any better.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-booking-regrets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f322edb4-827b-43b8-ab7c-2c907991ebd5Post:8bf2e24b-0cc6-4a2e-9303-8490e5a589d9">Re: Honeymoon booking regrets</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon booking regrets : A co-worker of mine actually honeymooned here and said it was worth every penny, if that makes you feel any better.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Steph. It does :)

You don't know by any chance, if they had either a concierge or butler room do you? From the reviews I've read, it seems like anyone who doesn't have butlers, have a real hard time getting chairs, reservations, ect. So, it seems there is a definite hierarchy at the resort. And, we're not about to spend any more money than we already have, so upgrading is out.

• Options
    what's the cancellation policy?

• Options
    If you do decide to canx OP, we're staying at Couples San Souci for 6 days 5 nights.  We upgraded our room and are flying out of Orlando - for about 3k.  We did get a sweet deal for booking early, but it's worth looking into.  ALL of the Couples resorts get good ratings/reviews on Trip Advisor and look AMAZING!  I can't wait!  

www.couples.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-booking-regrets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:f322edb4-827b-43b8-ab7c-2c907991ebd5Post:aa4407c5-3a55-43f7-9905-1955184b5036">Re: Honeymoon booking regrets</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon booking regrets : Thanks Steph. It does :) You don't know by any chance, if they had either a concierge or butler room do you? From the reviews I've read, it seems like anyone who doesn't have butlers, have a real hard time getting chairs, reservations, ect. So, it seems there is a definite hierarchy at the resort. And, we're not about to spend any more money than we already have, so upgrading is out.
    Posted by mbody[/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure, but since they were both full-time graduate students at the time, I would guess not.  He had no complaints about the service.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-booking-regrets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f322edb4-827b-43b8-ab7c-2c907991ebd5Post:af5a3c0f-3320-41b5-8921-6b75e53e9df7">Re: Honeymoon booking regrets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto what other PPs said. We are honeymooning for 9 days and staying in absolute top-of-the-line luxury on the Riviera Maya in a concierge level room at an AI right on the beach.  We have a beachfront suite with a private pool and a jacuzzi with an included honeymoon package with tons of extras (including couples massages and a bottle of champagne every day) and paying less than you are for your Sandals trip. I have never been to Sandals, so I can't give any sort of opinion on what it is like, and many girls on this board absolutely love Sandals and have great experiences there.  If you are excited about the trip, and it is exactly what you want, then I don't think there is anything wrong with paying that much for your dream trip.  if you are regretting booking it, then look into some other options.  I would just say, there is no harm in exploring your options and comparing what you could get at different resorts for the same price as your Sandals vacation.
    Posted by butterflyjumper1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>i also would like to know where you are staying?

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-booking-regrets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f322edb4-827b-43b8-ab7c-2c907991ebd5Post:c62f12c3-b0bc-4e37-ab15-868f35b8e52f">Re: Honeymoon booking regrets</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you do decide to canx OP, we're staying at Couples San Souci for 6 days 5 nights.  We upgraded our room and are flying out of Orlando - for about 3k.  We did get a sweet deal for booking early, but it's worth looking into.  ALL of the Couples resorts get good ratings/reviews on Trip Advisor and look AMAZING!  I can't wait!   <a href="http://www.couples.com" rel="nofollow">www.couples.com</a>  
    Posted by chickenbut143[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm gonna second Couples!  For 8 days and 7 nights it is going to cost us about $3300 w/ flights out of Orange County, CA (so pretty far..not a quick flight).  Granted we'll be going in October so it's hurricane season (read: off season = cheaper) but I'm not worried about it since we'll get trip insurance.  I haven't actually been there yet but we plan to go to Couples Tower Isle and all the reviews on TA are great and EVERYTHING is included, including scuba (except for massages).  It's cheaper than Sandals and you get more (like off-site excursions, cat cruises, and snorkeling excursion).  You should look into any of the Couples resorts if you plan to cancel your Sandals trip.  </div>
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    A friend of mine just came back from their honeymoon there and they loved it.

However me personally, I would never spend that much and I agree with the other girls that said going to Mexico you can get the same service for much cheaper. Sandals is known for being expensive and they are nice but I think you can get similar service and amenities for a lower price at other resorts. There are lots of girls on here who love them though.

• Options
    It looks like we would at least lose $1000, probably more if we canceled or did ANY adjustments. I feel deceived by our travel agent when I was asking questions about the "best price guarantee," trying to figure out what the catch was. There is a much better deal going on with sandals if I would have just booked myself. Last time I ever use this stupid travel agency.
  • Options
    And that's with the "trip insurance."
  • Options
    You definitley spent a lot, but if it makes you feel any better it's a great resort.  I've been to Sandals Negril.  They treat you very well, the food is good, and the beach is beautiful.
  • Options
    This is why I've always been a big advocate against Sandals. I've had several friends vacation or honeymoon at Sandals in St. Lucia, Jamaica, and Antigua and they all had a great time, but felt they over paid big time and that the resorts are very overadvertised and commercialized. Friends of ours paid more to honeymoon at Sandals in St. Lucia than we did to honeymoon in Fiji. That's craziness to me.

OP if you're going to lose $1k but would be saving a lot more than that by switching resorts and having an even nicer room/suite why not make the switch? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you said you'd lose $1k, but you would probably be saving much more than that by re-booking elsewhere.

A lot of travel agents partner with Sandals, so they push the resorts big time, and then their clients (especially if they haven't traveled much prior to booking their HM) are unaware of how much more they can get for less money elsewhere. I'm sorry this is happening and that you're so upset/stressed out about it. Just know that no matter where you end up going, that it'll be your HM and you and your new DH will have an amazing time.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, we paid over $6000 for a 7 day Honeymoon at Sandals Royal Carribean.  We do have a concierge suite right on the beach, but its still crazy expensive and I totally understand the buyers remorse.  I've stressed about it too, but I would just let it go and just get super pumped about all the fun you will have!  It's a once in a lifetime trip and it will be amazing!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards