Florida-South Florida
Options

Is this... okay?

I don't want to come off as the Emily Post police, so I'm going to ask for your opinions (because knotties know everything :)FI's sister's best friend just got engaged (let's call her M).M is not getting married until 2012. However, she is already registered in a couple of stores, and giving out her info.From what I know, there have been no STDs, not invites, no engagement party. A couple of her family members have already started to buy some things for them. She posted pictures on her Facebook and some people are going "...You're not getting married but in two years, what are you registering for?"And now I'm worried about the right time to register. I was planning to do this if/when the STDs go out. But now I'm thinking more towards when the invites are out. (More proper?).The last thing I wanted to do is come off as a tacky bride fishing for gifts. But now behold, it is seemingly okay.So ... huh?

Re: Is this... okay?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, M's wedding is not until 2012 SHE should definitely not be registering for gifts. When are you planning to send out your Std's?I found the following somewhere online:When to Register? You should register at least six months in advance of your wedding date. Registering in advance will give your guests time to purchase pre-wedding event (bridal shower) gifts also. If you register earlier than 6 months, you run the risk of stores discontinuing some of the selected gifts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I registered before sending out the STDs. The reason for that was so that I can include that information on my website that I included in the STD. I didn't want guests to receive the STD and go online and the website be incomplete.HTH.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think registering NOW for a 2012 wedding is silly. Tastes and needs change. Also things go out of the store and they will probably end up having re-register for almost everything!As for you, I think you can register now and it will be fine.
  • Options
    photonbugphotonbug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I registerd after I sent out the STD.  On my website I just stated that I would be registerying six months before the wedding at to check back for updates.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    muddiliciousmuddilicious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is way too early.  Like the other girls said, 6 months or whenever your STDs go out is good.You don't want to do it too early, cause stuff gets discontinued (Crate and Barrel are the worst with this).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's way to early! Our wedding isn't til March 2011 and were haven't even thought about registering yet!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're going tomorrow. We decided that we wanted to have them for the STDS, which will be going out just at the year mark :)
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    2012? that's a bit nuts!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    clovonneptclovonnept member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, this is a bit early for a 2012 wedding, but that being said.... I definitely created wishlist registries before I was even engaged!! LOL! I understand jumping the gun and getting excited but she'll probably realize pretty quick that registering early is unnecessary. She'll start getting notices about items no longer being unavailable. Plus if she changes her registry location in the future, she'll have to deal with deleting all the existing info so that her guests don't get confused when they search online. It's fun to 'shop' for a registry and get sucked in but yeah, wayyy too early.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah that's really really early for a 2012 wedding. Anytime around 6 months out is normally proper, however I've been a lazy bride and haven't even thought about the registry.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    rclnd83rclnd83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    didnt they make a movie about this? With that Sabrina the teenager with girl? I remember hearing a Movie story similar to this..hmmm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMBO alex, i haven't even thought about registering yet either and (just noticed on my siggy ticker) i'm 3mths out =) lazy bride ::raises hand::: right here
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just think that ... it is way too early for her, and if her "close" friends on facebook are commenting on her pictures how unnecessary a 2 year in advance registry is, she should take a hint.Everybody can get carried away. I know I did when FI first proposed. I went through a week of "I HAS TO GET THIS DONNNE" and my dear mother dragged me back to reality: calm the f down.I'm going to register when the STDs are out, so I can have the wedding website up ad running, but I won't expect anything until the invitations are out.Thank you for your input ladies :)And Gladys, what??? LOL. I'm so looking up that movie!
  • Options
    rclnd83rclnd83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards