Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Passport or No Passport?

We are taking a cruise out of Galveston in August and my F and I are at diffrent ends on if we should get them. I think it would be a good idea and he sees it as spending $330+ on something we really don't need.

Has anyone sailed out of Galveston? Do we need them? Help

Re: Passport or No Passport?

• Options
    I am not positive so please do not quote me, but I believe that if you do not have a passport then you will not be able to leave the boat at your different docking spots (unless you are going to Puerto Rico or the USVI)

Honestly, I would just get the passports.  They last 10 years so if you think of it that way, you are really only spending $3.30 a year to have two of them.  Also, you never know what trips you may want to go on and then you won't have to worry about applying for one later.

• Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Get a passport.  If not for this trip, but for the future. 

I have no idea where your ship is going because it's not where you leave from, it's where it docks while you're away that matters.  You can only get off the ship and enter the islands if it's US territory when you don't have a passport.

Passports last ten years.  Get out of the country a bit and see the world ;-)
  • Options
    I'm not positive about this either but I'm pretty sure you didn't have to have a passport for cruises leaving from the US. We went on 4 as a family and I didn't have a passport for any of those. I do agree with PP's though about getting one for future trips, it's nice to have it and it costs A LOT more to get a passport rushed if you have the opportunity to go on any last minute trips.
  • Options

We stop on Cozumel and Pogreso.

• Options
    At a minimum you would need a passport card to leave the boat at those stops.
  • Options
    If your ports of call are anywhere outside of the US or US Territory (which Mexico is), you will need at least a passport card to leave the ship (or perhaps even board the ship to begin with). 

Passport cards are valid for land or sea travel only.  If you have plans to fly out of the country within the next 10 years, then you should go ahead and get a passport book, which is valid for all forms of international travel.  The application process is the same for both, but the fees are slightly less for a card only.

Anniversary
  • Options
    get the passport.

God forbid something happens you will need to to fly, a BC won't work.   They last 10 years.  You never know when the opportunity might present itself and you might need one.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    get the passport

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    What's your destination?  That (destination) is what drives the need for a passport, not your port of departure.  Go to the State department website (www.state.gov) and look up the rules for travel to and from the U.S. for American citizens.  Follow the guidelines given there. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_passport-or-no-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:f6625375-0487-4c30-9a97-dc65d48d4eb3Post:33e3a7bf-4472-4f85-9a2c-3fda844f31fc">Re: Passport or No Passport?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not positive so please do not quote me, but I believe that <strong>if you do not have a passport then you will not be able to leave the boat at your different docking spots (unless you are going to Puerto Rico or the USVI) Honestly, I would just get the passports</strong>.  They last 10 years so if you think of it that way, you are really only spending $3.30 a year to have two of them.  Also, you never know what trips you may want to go on and then you won't have to worry about applying for one later.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I was under the same impression!!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_passport-or-no-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:f6625375-0487-4c30-9a97-dc65d48d4eb3Post:bd4595f6-29ac-480a-9348-306f464df640">Re: Passport or No Passport?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If your ports of call are anywhere outside of the US or <strong><font color="#0000ff">US Territory (which Mexico is),</font></strong> you will need at least a passport card to leave the ship (or perhaps even board the ship to begin with).  Passport cards are valid for land or sea travel only.  If you have plans to fly out of the country within the next 10 years, then you should go ahead and get a passport book, which is valid for all forms of international travel.  The application process is the same for both, but the fees are slightly less for a card only.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Mexico is <u>not</u> a U.S. territory, just ask your governor, Jan Brewer.
  • Options
    I know for a fact with carnival you do not need it, as long as your leaving and coming back to the same port. Ex: If your like leaving out of Galveston and coming back into Miami you will need a passport. Otherwise, you only need your birth certificate and ID
  • Options
    Prettttttty sure gemmini meant Mexico is NOT in the US or US territory.  FWIW. :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_passport-or-no-passport?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:f6625375-0487-4c30-9a97-dc65d48d4eb3Post:4ccda3b2-5f88-4042-9bbf-ed7e122f4cbd">Re: Passport or No Passport?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Passport or No Passport? : Mexico is not a U.S. territory, just ask your governor, Jan Brewer.
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards