Florida-South Florida
Options

Keepahs? (For the Jews!)

Hi girls - how many keepahs are you ordering?? If we have (about) 200 guests) - do you think 100 is enough? too many? they're about $14 a dozen (with the imprinting) so I'm thinking 8 or 9 dozen? HELP.I want to spend money and I better do it on something wedding related, stat!xoL'Shana Tova (almost)!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker

Re: Keepahs? (For the Jews!)

• Options
    JillianLLJillianLL member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL NEED TO SPEND!! Are you positive that half of those 200 guests are men? What if its more? or less? I'd go with ordering about 9 or 10 dozen. Its always better to have a little extra just incase. Where are you ordering from? Danielle gave me a super cute website...Mazeltops.com. They have a huge selection! And what color are you getting? L'Shana Tova to you! Apples and honey all weekend baby!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would make sure to have some extras. I'm sure at least a few people will want one as a souvenir. kippotworld.com has a showroom in NMB if you haven't already chosen a design/vendor.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hahaha I think I have a serious money spending problem!! I think it's about half men...but I know not all will wear it, so I think I'll order 108 (9 dozen) - I have a few different websites but I'll check that one out!!YAYYYY apples & honey!!OH! P.S. I'm wearing the Nordstom dress to my bridal shower on Oct 24th, wahoo!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks goldgold!! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::butting in:: Sorry... I'm just curious what are these for? I'm not Jewish so I wanna know what we miss out on... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yayyyy for the Nordstrom dress!! I'm so glad it fits and you love it! You'll get a ton of compliments on it...I want to wear it to our engagement party but everyone has already seen it in our e-pics lol! I want to get something fun and flirty, any suggestions? Its a brunch.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Monica, you aren't missing out on anything except another added cost! They're for men to wear on their heads to remind us that G-D is always above us. Am I right on that one other Jewish girls? It sounds right lol!  
  • Options
    JenninbocaJenninboca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A kippah is the skullcap that Jewish men wear and they come in lots of colors and styles. L'Shana Tova have a sweet and healthy new year!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup Jilly you're right!!I will keep my eyes open for a super cute dress - when's the party again?? Here's what i found - Yarmulka is the Yiddish name for the skullcap or kippah worn by many jews all the time and all male jews (and visiting non-jews) at Jewish holy sites. Yarmulka apparently derives from Yare Me-Elohim which means to "stand in awe of God." In the temple period only the priests wore a head covering. When the Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. The synagogue became the center for Jewish worship and the rabbis took to wearing caps in the synagogue as a sign of respect to God and his presence in the holy place. In Isaiah's vision, the part of the liturgy we Lutheran's used to call the Sanctus, the angels were singing "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord! The whole world is full of God's glory." A fourth century Rabbi by the name of Honah ben Joshua took this to mean that not just in the holy places but everywhere God's glory is present. It is said that he never walked more than four cubits bareheaded because as he used to say, God's Presence resides above my head. In ancient times an uncovered head was a symbol of freedom and human strength. The skullcap thus proclaimed that man is subject to God, whose hand is always over him. By the 1500's it became a universal sign among all Jewish males of their special relationship to God. Orthodox Jewish males still wear it at all times, Conservative and reformed jews are more flexible in their use. Although traditionally only worn by men, who alone shouldered the responsibility to study the Torah and to pray, some women have begun to take up the practice at least during worship and prayer. Interestingly it is the covering of the head not the type of hat that is important. Any head covering will do. The skullcap is closely akin to the head covering worn by the ancient rabbis.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw, that's so nice... thanks for the info ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    October 17th, so I've got some time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    100 may be more than you need... depends on how many men you have really... you might be able to get away with like 7 dozen.... but if you have more men than women then maybe do 8 or 9 dozen. Not everyone will wear one unfortunately!I'm thinking of ordering about 40... where are you getting yours from court?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's what I'm thinking! I'm so confused - I don't want to have too many extras because it'll have our wedding names on the inside (which can be donated, but not sold) - I have a few sites at home, I'll send you which ones I'm thinking about! :) We're getting them in light pink - satin - how girly and fun ;)
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I emailed my mom to find out how many they ordered for my brother's wedding last year and where she got them from. Also, you would be surprised about the men wearing them. When the non-jews see that guys are taking them, they usually all wear them out of respect. I'll write back when I get the info from my mom.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I counted how many men there were and ordered that many!! Even though MOST of my guy friends aren't Jewish, they all loved the kippahs and wore them anyway! So I would just go by how many guys you have!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    137 men if EVERYONE comes - uhhhh.SO figure.. 100 should be plenty? I think? thanks ladies!!!
  • Options
    citytoshore09citytoshore09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was totally surprised at all the non-Jews who wanted to wear them! We ran out! Everyone was getting down with the teal suede. :)100ish is good for 130-something people! Not a bad thing to keep a few extras around for the holidays. ;)
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely good to keep around for the holidays. We still use mine from my bat-mitzvah.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    citytoshore09citytoshore09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha, andra, me too! we have my bat mitzvah, my brother's bar mitzvah, and now my wedding. it's a pretty random looking drawer at their house. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards