Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Honolulu Must See's

My fiance and I are taking our honeymoon to Honolulu, Hawaii. What are the must see places on this island or do you have any suggestions?

Re: Honolulu Must See's

• Options
    We went to Oahu on our HM as well and really loved it! Are you staying down by Waikiki Beach? Will you have a car and can you get out of the actual city of Honolulu?

My suggestions (I'll try to keep them brief but feel free to PM me for more info):
    Check out Waikiki Beach although it gets crowded. It's still a fun place.

-Pearl harbor. Get there early (right when it opens) as there is always a wait to get on the Arizona. The tix for that are free and they have other things you can do while you wait. We toured a submarine (cost extra) and went through a museum.

-Hike Diamond Head. It's a fairly easy hike but very picturesque and the views at the top are worth it.

-I would get out of Honolulu and explore other parts of the island if possible. Drive up to the North Shore (about an hour's drive--could even rent a car for just a day) and see some of the beaches up there like Sunset, Waimea, etc. Go through the cute town of Hale'iwa, get some shave ice at Aioki's, eat at a shrimp truck (we liked Fumi's) and get a taste for the more relaxed part of the island.

-We did the Dole Plantation and could live with or without it. The Dole Whip is fabulous though! So good.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2012
    I went to Hawaii years ago. We saw Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Diamond Head and Waikiki Beach. I highly recommend them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you're a fan of Lost or Jurassic Park I know the park they shot it in is on the northeast part of the island. I believe they offer various tours through the areas and it looks amazing in photos. 
  • Options
    The flea market at the stadium would be on my list and was not mentioned by pp's.  It was the best and cheapest place to get souvenirs.  Check the schedule because if I remember right they aren't open every day.

Agreed with doing Pearl Habor early.  (This applies to Diamondhead as well, especially if you're traveling during a warmer month).  I wasn't overly interested in Pearl Harbor and didn't think there was a lot to see and would have skipped it if it wasn't on his "bucket list."

Agreed with getting to the North side of the island.  It's like driving out of the city into the country.

We also especially enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and we liked touring the palace where the queen lived under house arrest.

It's also fun to go to a luau.  The one at the Hilton Hawaiian Village was like a dinner show.  I've heard good things about the one at the Polynesian Cultural Center as well.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    We are going to be staying at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki Beach. Thanks for all of the suggestions! We plan on renting a car for a day or two also.
  • Options
    I spent a semester in Hawaii and would love to go back there soon! It is gorgeous, you're going to love it!  There are many fantastic local restaurants in Waikiki, however, I ate at Tiki's Bar and Grill which is right on Waikiki beach in the Aston Beach Hotel and it was amazing.  I usually steer clear of hotel restaurants but this was fantastic and you sit outdoors on a terrace overlooking the water so the views are stunning and the food is wonderful! 
        I definitely second those who said to drive up to the North Shore, driving along the eastern side of the island there are many places to pull off and take pictures - there are so many amazing views it's ridiculous!  Along the drive is Sandy's beach which is a great beach for bodysurfing.  The Shrimp trucks on the North Shore are great and not to be missed! Waimea Bay on the north shore is a great beach, if you're there during the summer and early fall the water is like glass but for a fair portion of the year the waves are insane and even the most experienced surfers won't/can't go in.  There is a garden near Waimea Bay, I think it's an Audubon, that was very neat to walk around for a few hours also.
         One beach I would say to definitely go to is Lanikai Beach, also on the eastern side of the island. As you can see I can't say enough about my time in Hawaii! If you have any other questions feel free to ask :) 
  • Options

I highly reccommend leaving Honolulu and exploring. Waikiki is alright, but it's typically packed and to me it was like Park Avenue on the beach. Not much privacy at all. If you don't mind the walk, head down from Waikiki toward Ala Moana. When I was there the parking was free if you drive, and while it's right next to Waikiki it's not anywhere near as crowded!

If you can, and if you like the outdoors, Hanuma Bay, Koko Head Crater, and the scenic road (that I've forgot the name of) that the blow holes are on- rocks! Along that road there are a lot of smaller beaches that are secluded at times. Much more romantic!

If you like sweets, get some hot malsada's! There's a bakery in Honolulu that has the best ones ever.

Finally, I'd highly reccommend going to Sorento's. It's a fine (5 diamond) restaraunt on top of the old Hawaii 5-O hotel. Call in advance and get a window seat facing the shore, because on Friday nights, you are eye-level with the fireworks they do. It's really romantic and some of the best food ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards