Florida-South Florida
Options

Still no big checks for me :( but PIP

I haven't posted the whole month of October due to NWR things keeping me busy (not even worth it to change my siggy now) but I officially made a room block and did another mock-up centerpiece.

As most of you know I had changed my wedding date due to my hotel being completely sold out. Well... every couple months (probably every month) I call the hotel to see how many rooms they have left for the night. Out of 500 something there is only 150 rooms left. I am 7 months away so the woman tells me they are likely to sell out again. I explained to her again I cannot afford any rooms not used in the room block. We have no OOT guests and the policy says that 8 out of 10 rooms would have to be booked. She explains to her director and calls me back to tell me she can do the room block with no penalty to me and no credit card needed!! Yayy! Also, if the rooms ends up being cheaper (florida resident rate or whatever) they don't have to use the room block, but book on their own :) 

And... another centerpiece mock up... the stems should be criss crossed at the bottom, the river rocks will be darker (thanks knottie Angel) and we are not using a floating candle but will use large votives provided by the restaurant.
Also, if anyone has opinions on how to get the callas to sink better please let me know!! I've heard of flower frogs and fishing weights...

For Sale: 6x6x6 cube vases (purchased from knottie Lynette). I decided not to use them and need to make room in my closet for the new ones. Will sell all 9 vases for $40

Re: Still no big checks for me :( but PIP

• Options
    edited December 2011
    congrats on your checks! Thats a relief about the hotel and your centerpieces look nice!
    *February Siggy*
    <3 Favorite Picture of me and my man <3 <br>Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad to hear the hotel block worked out. I love the centerpieces and was thinking about doing something similar w/ a flower submerged in water. would love to hear any suggestions on how to make them sink more too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_still-big-checks-but-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:16d12aeb-3087-4525-ba82-5e9afd6d223bPost:0affbcac-37ab-4528-a7b7-a086aab93fab">Re: Still no big checks for me :( but PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]Glad to hear the hotel block worked out. I love the centerpieces and was thinking about doing something similar w/ a flower submerged in water. would love to hear any suggestions on how to make them sink more too!
    Posted by UFSara[/QUOTE]

FI brought home a weight from work but it wasn't heavy enough (thought about maybe attaching 2 to fishing string). Then, my bff thought of a clear CD divider! We attached fishing string to it and tied the string to the actual flower. It has been a PITA and everything magnifies in he water so the string was visible! The more I spend on mock-ups, the more I think of hiring a florist...
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So glad to hear that they'll accomodate you on the room block!

And great start on the centerpieces-- they look great! Would weights work? I'd keep experimenting with trying to weigh them down. :)

Glad you're back!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    These look like pretty big checks to me!

I have no suggestions on how to make the flowers sink BUT do love the idea!

Congrats :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's a site that explains how to use floral wire and weights to prevent the flowers from floating to the top.  HTH!

Wedding Countdown Ticker ">
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing almost the exact same centerpieces, the florist used a fishing weight at the bottom. I dont know how she tied it on though but it stayed there. 
    Congrats with the hotel. If you are not having OOT guests why are you worried about the rooms? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_still-big-checks-but-pip?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:16d12aeb-3087-4525-ba82-5e9afd6d223bPost:41ef08ae-be0b-49a4-9065-80079436b48b">Re: Still no big checks for me :( but PIP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am doing almost the exact same centerpieces, the florist used a fishing weight at the bottom. I dont know how she tied it on though but it stayed there.  Congrats with the hotel. <strong>If you are not having OOT guests why are you worried about the rooms? 
    </strong>Posted by lgrn22[/QUOTE]

lol Laura, valid question. I have family in Lake Worth that will probably stay over and a few friends that want to after party in the hotel. I just wanted the hotel option to be there but not be responsible for 8 rooms if only 4 got booked. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oo ok! good plan :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!
  • Options
    abellabell member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The centerpieces look great!
This discussion has been closed.