Florida-South Florida
Options

marriage license question

so i was informed from my rabbi that we have to wait till after we are married to get our license. does anyone know how to handle this if you are having a orthodox jewish ceremony please e mail/fb/PM me....whatever you have to do. im 38 days out and im really confused on how to handle this.

Re: marriage license question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is really odd... The state requires the Marriage License before the wedding, it doesn't get signed until the day of... or could be signed after if your faith requires it. I would check DIRECTLY with the clerk of courts office...

Here is the Martin County Department. I found they were the most helpful and kind office I talked to. I am sure they will help you sort out your answer.

"If you have any questions regarding this application and license, contact the Domestic Relations Department - (772) 419-4078."

Maybe ask your Rabbi to explain it to you again, perhaps he misspoke, or can clarify it better for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe he ment you wont receive the actuall license until after..i know once you sing the paper you have to go back to get your license (or send it in whatever you choose) ..he probably ment to get only half married and not get the license that day....i would ask him to clarify :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I think that HAS to be what he meant. I actually posted advice about all this stuff like a few posts before.... maybe the next page back???

Marriage License - Can get up to 60 days or LESS Before Wedding - You will likely not need your Birth Certificate to get your Marriage License. Have your Rabbi sign it... witnesses and send it back to the courthouse.

AFTER WEDDING!

1. SEND IN MARRIAGE LICENSE:
    Your Officiant may do this....or your MOH or BM can do it for you... Who ever you trust more.

My MOH sent our License in to the courthouse on Monday the 9.27... We got back home from HM on 10.2 and License was there!!! Yippee!!!

2. GO TO SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE FIRST! DO NOT STOP. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT $200....

I went to SS on Tuesday at 10am.... Very Easy. Just needed SS Card (or Current Passport), ORIGINAL Marriage License and Drivers License.

There is NO FEE to change your name on SS card.

3. YOU MUST WAIT AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE GOING TO DMV!!!!

DRESS LIKE YOU ARE GOING ON A DATE WITH YOUR HUSBAND or a job interview if you want. :) Remember certain makeup reflects in photos... this is the same scenario!! My Bare Minerals reflected quite a bit and I look a little shiny. :)

BRING WITH YOU - 
    Old SS Card (and or Passport)
    Drivers License (w/ maiden name)
    2 Pieces of Mail with Maiden Name and current address.
    $25 in CASH, CHECK or Mastercard, Discover or AmEx...
    DO NOT BRING VISA. They DO NOT ACCEPT VISA!
    It was $25.00 for a replacement license. I am pretty sure the fee is teh same EVERYwhere, but I could be wrong.

HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards