Florida-South Florida
Options

Is it too late?

So FI and I never had an engagement party.  Right after our engagement he had surgery and my dad had said he'd have a "family" engagement party but we wanted to wait until after FI recovery.... well apparenlty my dad forgot the he offered that, so when I asked him about it the other day he said he had no idea what I was talking about... which is ok bc FI and I want our friends there as well.  Since we've been engaged since April, is it too late to have an engagement party?  We can't afford a lot right now but we were just thinking about having a BBQ or catering CR chicks or something... ideas ladies?
Photobucket

Re: Is it too late?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont think it's too late, you are still a few months out and it would be a great way for friends and family to meet and celebrate
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree anytimes a good time to celebrate with friends and family..if you can afford it go for it! :)
  • Options
    KimA85KimA85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...with a little less than 5 months to go, and almost six months since you were engaged, I think it might be.

I may be a bit biased though, since I feel that there's too many parties associated with a wedding.
    Counting down until our 4th of July arrival! BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim, that was kind of my thought... at this point being so far out from the engagement does it just become a regular party? LoL
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I disagree... I don't think it's too late. Especially since you are thinking of having something casual like a BBQ. It could be just a celebration of your engagement and what's to come. Everyone is fully aware of the trials you guys have been through and would totally understand why it had to be delayed.

It is a good way to have the families meet, if they haven't, and just spent time celebrating the happiness of your upcoming nuptials.

If the idea of an "engagement" party is what is throwing you off, then call it something else. Perhaps a play on words ... like "Between "Yes" and "I Do" we want to celebrate (or BBQ) with you!"  Kinda corny, but cute. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rosmery that's adorable and I might just have to steal that!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree 110% with everything Rosmary said!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    :-)  Candis - Nothing to steal... I just made that up for you. So it's all yours!

I hope you do it! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rosmery how the heck did you come up with that? Ingenious!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL!!! I'm just good like that. LMAO!!!   I'm glad you guys like it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow rosmery you took the words right outa my head! and that poem - perfection!!
    best.day.ever.
    imageAnniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow Rosemary, great verbage for a invite!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had an engagement party exactly 6 months to the day we get married and about 11 months after we first got engaged... we also live 1,000 miles from our family.  We did it mostly because none of our family has met and we wanted to get everyone excited to fly down here for the wedding.  It worked out really well. 

Although, you probably shouldn't wait too much longer, since the holidays and other wedding events (shower and bachelor/bachelorette) are coming up.

Use what Rosmery said :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that's another issue is things coming up.. My cousin is getting married next month, we want it to be kind of cool out, FI's BIL is over seas till November and we kinda want him there... so much to think about.  Thanks for all the input ladies!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hmmm... In that case, you may want to take advantage of the holiday season and people that may already be traveling.

You can have a BBQ basically any time of the year here in SFL. You don't necessarily need a theme, persay, but if you do, you can combine with the holidays or the time of year. 

A Winter or Harvest BBQ? Could work.  A Fall or Harvest theme, with hay stacks, dry leaves, orange and browns, pumpkins and corn... .I like it.

Don't stress too much over the dates, just make sure the key people you want there are in town.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea to have a get-together, but my understanding from Etiquette is that you generally don't throw yourselves an engagement party.  So maybe call it a meet-and-greet, or a barbeque, or whatever, just so no one gets the wrong impression.

Otherwise, sounds like fun!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards