Florida-South Florida

Sit Down, Buffet or Hors d'oeuvres?

Just wanted to see the different things everyone is doing with food for their weddings.  Are you having a sit down dinner with a choice menu or a sit down with no choice?  Are you having a buffet?  Or are you having a beer, wine and hors d'oeuvres type of affair?

I originally wanted to do a simple "finger foods" and wine type of thing, but I've decided on a sit down dinner; however, there will not be a choice of what to eat.  I kinda have mixed feelings about it because I wanted to give my guests more of a variety, but there will be passed hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour and an open bar.  Had to cut costs somewhere!  

Haven't made final decisions about what the actual dinner will be, but since I know there will some people that do not eat beef or fish at the wedding, I think a chicken dish is the "universal" choice.  Maybe chicken marsala?  But then there's mushrooms that not everyone likes...ugh!
image 82 Invited
image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
RSVP Date: Dec 19
image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board

Re: Sit Down, Buffet or Hors d'oeuvres?

• PriscyScrapsPriscyScraps member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    We haven't confirmed anything yet in terms of venue, etc. However we want a sit down dinner with at least 3 choices and passed hors d'oeuvres. Our choices are meat, chicken, and a fish/veggie choice. Please note that we are planning a wedding for less than 60 people total. My suggestion is to have a pasta bar with at least 3 choices of sauces. This is an inexpensive food choice but everyone can eat. As for the chicken, why not do just a simple roasted chicken. 

Let us know what you end up doing.
    SoFla September Siggy - Hair Inspiration imageimage
  • LaMaFaLaMaFa member
    First Comment
    edited September 2012
    We were planning to do a sit-down dinner, but the way our venue organizes the buffet, you get the same quality of food, but every guest can have everything. Since this meant so much more food for the money, we went ahead with the buffet option. A really nice feature of our venue is having a plated salad served first, so everyone is distracted with that and any extra speeches as people are dismissed gradually to the buffet line. It seems like a huge slow-down for any buffet is salad, so our venue has cut that aspect out. Also, our venue offers a carved meat included with the buffet, so that will probably be prime rib.
    Since you seem pretty set on chicken, have you considered a preparation in the style of your heritage? For example, my grandfather was Hungarian, so my mom served Chicken Paprikash at her wedding. Maybe something like that, it would have special meaning to you/your family(s), and more people would be at least willing to try it for that reason alone. HTH!
  • My first wedding was an afternoon wedding with a buffet.  It was actually very nice and the wedding and reception turned out beautiful, but I am doing everything the OPPOSITE way for this wedding.  I guess I am a bit superstitious, lol!

Tasted the food at the caterers today.  The food is really good, I am so happy!  We are going to do a sit down dinner with house salad, chicken piccata, herb roasted potatoes, and Mediterranean style veggies.  Our caterer is Cuban and my FI is Cuban, but FI wants nothing to do with Cuban food for the wedding because he eats Cuban food all of the time.  There will be no variety of dinner for our guests, but there will at least be a variety of passed hors d'oeuvres during the cocktail hour.  I'm sure I won't be able to please everyone regardless of what I do.  I can't believe how close we are to the big day!  
    image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • I am glad to hear you finalized the food. And believe me, I understand about doing everything the opposite. My FI has been married before so I was against the month of October, a beach wedding, blue/teal, and hotel venue. I am not following anyones footsteps. :
    SoFla September Siggy - Hair Inspiration imageimage
  • I want passed hors d'oeuvres and champagne during cocktail hour. Sit down with a seafood, steak, chicken, and veggie option with open bar. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards