Florida-South Florida
Options

The moment...

I ladies, so I have two appointments tomorrow one at Davids Bridal and one at Alfred Angelo, I went last week ( friday ) with  my MOH and my mom, and I saw dresses that I did like and that look wonderful on me, though I didn't get the " ahh ha moment" that some girls get. For those of you who have your dress did you get that " ahh ha moment" and how many dresses did you try on. I don't want to settle and I know it might be too early to try on dresses, I just know that it takes months for dresses to come in.
I don't want to be one of those girsl that try on like 100 dresses and never find anything.

Re: The moment...

• Options
    I found mine online after some searching - I wanted something pink rather than white. I can't say that I had that 'ah hah' moment that we see on TV shows, but I did love the look of the dress when I saw it, and just hoped it looked as good in person (which thankfully it did). 

I think WAY too many of us psych ourselves out with second guessing. Ive seen so many posts about girls who bought a dress they loved and then 'fell out of love' with it and jumped back into the shopping again. 

I'd say go with your gut - if the dress looks great, and if it looks great on you, jump. Its not that tough, and very, VERY rarely does anyone not look amazing in their dress. I guess it can happen, but it has been my experience that the smile on your face plays just as big a part as to how great you look as the fabric on your back.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind tomorrow.
    your  brave to buy your dress online, have you received it yet? a co workers' FI sent her measurements to china to have a dress made, which i think is brave as well. Though I"m sure it'll look wonderful.
  • Options
    I tried.on about 6 but had the moment on the 4 dress and ultimately knew it was the one
  • Options
    I did something similar to poultryprincess.

I tried on maybe 4 dresses at david's bridal and another 1 or 2 at alfred angelo (side note, I went to the one in Miracle Mile and had the WORST experience. The consultant made it seem like i was bothering her for trying on dresses. She even said "oh, since your MOH is here she can help you in and out of the dresses and you guys can pick whatever you want. I'll be over there". needless to say, I tried on the dresses really quick and ran out of there as fast as I could. super rude!)

Since I couldn't afford the $1,000 dress I liked at BD, I checked online on recyledbride.com and found a very similar dress. I took a chance, bought it online, and it turned out great! I didn't get that OMG feeling every show on TV says you need to have, but I think I look awesome in it and I think that's the important part.

Good luck!!

photo 4d90b97c-0076-4b13-b3c1-7cddd4d8686b_zps47a19125.jpg
  • Options
    Ugh Ms. Banana I'm sorry. I know how that feels and it sucks. Luckily there are lots and lots of amazing wedding pros to make up for the less than stellar...

I had the same experience pretty much as Poultry Princess too. I tried on maybe 12 dresses in Chicago (alone, so sad lol, especially when the showrooms were full of bridal parties and moms crying). I liked two a lot, but didn't love any. Same with the 6 I tried on at DB. Then when I was in Florida my mom & MOH and I went to Victoria's and I tried on like 9 more. One of them was 1 I'd liked a lot in Chicago...for $900 less. I couldn't wait to put it on, and once I did I loved it. It didn't feel like I thought it would, but I did cry. So did my MOH. Mom totally didn't bc she hated it and I ended up getting the same dress from a different salon because my mom thought it was "a better color" - same dress lol. But I ended up finding my dream veil there so there's a reason for everything.

Just keep trying on, but don't worry that you're not "doing it right". After the 20th dress I tried on with no tears I was worried that I would never find the right dress, but it ended up being a slow burn kind of realization, not a big Randy Fenoli clapping & shouting moment. Good luck!

PS I started shopping the week after we got engaged. If you can cross anything off the list do it when you feel like it! Then just avert your eyes from Bridal fashion week lol.
  • Options
    thanks ladies! Well I'm sorry bananapants that you had a bad experience while shopping for dresses. I went to DB and i was just browsing while I waited for my consultant, and I saw this dress on the rack and was like this looks nice I'll try this on, and I had a couple of more I saw online. Well i put the dress I saw on the rack on and it looks beautiful on, I look like I lost 20 pounds, I didn't cry, but my mom said I looked more exicted in this one then the others and I couldn't take it off. then the bride next to me saw me in the dress and she tried it on and ended up buying the dress, its very fitted on top which is good cause it keeps the girls in, and then it flows on teh bottome and has just enough detail on top and then the detail continues to the back and down the train, which is long I coudln't take this dress off, so since I'm so indecisive so i went to alfred angelo and retried on the dresses I tried on before, and the one dress that we all liked, I was comparing it too the DB dress and it just wasn't as flattering on as the other one, it actually made me look heavier. I'm trying to see if my MOH and another friend can come with me tomorrow so i can try on the dress for them to see it. though the more I think about it and the more I look at the pictures the more I love this dress, granted I didn't cry, I just feel so good in this dress, even at the weight that I"m currently at, if I just lost like 15 to 20 pounds it would be great and look wonderful. i'll try to post a picture if I can.
  • Options
    Aww it sounds so pretty! And if you're comparing all other dresses to this one it sounds like it might be the one! I did the same thing with my dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards