Florida-South Florida
Options

Cake tasting: not a rave

So FI & I went for our cake tasting today ... our venue works with one baker, so we had a cake included in our package, with buttercream in a simple design.

First of all, we were only allowed to taste three flavors of cake and three icings.  I'm not going to lie, I wasn't thrilled because it's not really close to where we live, so we can't go back and taste any time, and they had way more options than we could try (plus they don't do retail, so we couldn't buy anything else to try).

Then we got there and they gave us these teeny squares of cake ... maybe this is standard practice, I don't know.

Then once we started talking about designs, I mentioned that we want a henna-inspired cake.  I pointed at one that had a henna-ish design about as complex as this one (http://www.kakebakery.com/images/Mehndi-Scroll-Wedding-Cake.jpg) with a design and asked how much it was, and the girl said it would be an additional $3.50 a slice (keep in mind that the cake itself plus the fondant are not included in that price).

I was hoping for this level of complexity: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hennalounge/4825183402/ (which is still not very complex ... google "henna cake" to see what I mean) and I was willing to pay extra for it, but what is that going to cost me, $5 a slice?

I don't understand how it costs $150-200 to have bridal henna done in patterns about 10x as intricate as the one I pointed out, all over my hands and feet, but it would cost me something like $600 (again, not including the actual fondant-covered cake) to have a design put on my cake?

Grump grump grump.  And I can't even shop around.  I have no idea what to do.  I just needed to vent.
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake tasting: not a rave

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Which baker is this? But yes, the price sounds about right. It sucks and it's a lot. Unfortunately you can't shop around but did you see if there was any way they could bring that price down a little? Any little bit helps!
    :: Lynette & PJ :: 1.22.11 :: For Sale ::
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... that sounds right but maybe a little high.  I am just getting an upgraded flavor and it was $1.50 a person.  I heard fondant alone is about $2 a person, so the extra design is probably much more if it is done by hand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp's. Cakes aren't cheap!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 134 image 102 image 15 image 17
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I know who you went to. I went there for a cake tasting and was higly disappointed.  As you said no extra flavors and nothing to buy to try.  The cake I tried was also stale which really was a bummer.  They made me wait about 20 minutes before someone actually started working with me even though I made an appointment to visit.  Yeah I crossed them off my list.  See if your venue is willing to credit you the cake so that you can get an outside baker.

Hope it all works out.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds about right :( Our cake for 130 people came up to $950 ( fondant Tiffany shapped)...Cakes arent cheap :(
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for reading my novel, girls!

I think that to cut down on decorating costs, I'm going to have them do a simpler design - either one paisley on the front of each tier (3), or maybe one on each side (12), depending on what they quote me.  I just can't bring myself to spend so much on something that gets cut up and eaten.

The cake was pretty tasty (although yes, a bit stale), and the frosting was delicious.  So I think we will stick with them, because a big part of it is already paid for.

Sadou - I am sending you a PM.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What cake place was it. I ask because I had an awul experience with my first cake option too.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards