Florida-South Florida

Poll: first look pictures

Who is taking pictures with their groom before the ceremony?  I want to do this to save valuable photography time but my mom is having a heart attack over it. 

Re: Poll: first look pictures

• edited December 2011
    I actually don't know.

Why I would want to: Pictures & time. Selfish reason, but I want m day to go over smoothly, not feel rushed. I do want my nice portraits, I know Gregory Paul can do his magic with whatever time constraint, but I'm a lousy model and tension shows really easy in my face.

Why I would not: I want the first time Craig's sees me to be as the door opens and I walk down the aisle. Also, some first looks I've seen on video are so awkward. I know that depends on the couple, but I'm not taking my chances lol.
  • Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Garrett and I are doing the first look before the ceremony.  Main reason....I don't want to miss my cocktail hour...I picked all the cool foods and drinks for it...I want to enjoy it!

We were going to NOT do it..and then just have me take all the pictures with my family and the BM...all the pics I could take without Garrett...then just do Garrett and I after the ceremony...but then that would still take longer...so we are nixing it.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing first look. I wasn't sure I wanted to at first but then I thought perhaps it would ease the nerves a little. I also liked the idea of a little quiet time with FI before things get started. Time to reflect on the day and our feelings for each other. Sounds corny I know.
  • Lacey36Lacey36 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not doing it b/c we want to wait till the church to see each other the 1st time and we have plenty of time after the ceremony till reception to take pics.
    My Bio Photobucket Number Invited 152 image Number Attending 109 image Number Declined 43 image Number Not Replied 0 image RSVP Date June 30th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dee729Dee729 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Nicole - not corny at all....Garrett and I are taking a short time to spend time alone after the ceremony...jewish tradition actually.
  • edited December 2011
    I was really starting to like the idea after speaking to photographers...mostly because I was afraid I would not have enough daylight left to take outdoor pics after the ceremony. FI was totally against the idea b/c he wants us to see each other for the 1st time as I walk down the aisle. So we will not be doing a first look...I stopped worrying about it and we we will go the more traditional route. I'm sure we'll get all the pictures we want and more in the given time after the ceremony.
  • ladylisaltladylisalt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing the first look. I am not overly traditional and it just makes sense for us to have enough time/light,etc. for it. I think no matter what, your husband's face will light up when he sees you for the first time whether its at the end of an aisle or somewhere else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing it. My videographer told me this, you will have two great moments, one just between the two of you and one with you coming down the aisle. He said he has never had a couple regret doing a first look, but has had people regret not doing it.

My mom also had a heart attack and tried to solicit my friends at our engagement party to convince us not to do it (she was drinking heavily). Finally my friend who has known my mom since we were 6 asked her, did you see Shannon's father before you got married, she said absolutely not. Her response, "And how long have you been divorce now?" ...I love my friend!
  • sambrefe67sambrefe67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing it.  I dont want to.  To me (my opinion only) it takes away from walking down the aisle.  I want the first time he sees me as his soon to be wife is walking down the aisle.  I dont care about missing part of the cocktail hour.  That doesnt bother me, thats for the guests to relax and hang out, say their hellos.  Once its calmed down then FI & I will probably show up.  Crystal knows FI doesn't love taking pics, so itll be short.  After I saw how many pictures amy had of her and her DH and how many she was never planning on looking at again, i thought why?!  No matter what youll have time the two of you, and youll see each other and pictures will look wonderful!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I am doing it.

My opinion? Don't do it because you want to save time taking pictures. Do it because it's what you feel in your heart is the right thing to do.

For me, I want the first time we see each other all dressed up and ready to be by ourselves. It feels like such an intimate moment to me. Plus, with all the tension of the big day, I don't want to feel like I need to throw up before walking down the aisle and I believe seeing him before will make me more calm. The picture thing is just an added benefit.
  • edited December 2011
    We did it - sort of - I was all about it for time and lighting etc.  And I dont think it took away from my aisle walk at all.  My advice is this:  PLAN IT!  My first look wasnt really planned but I know where we wanted to do it and what photos I wanted of it.  Unfortunately we didnt have the time - we were rushing and I hardly got any photographs of me and DH before so our first look wasnt really special - it was just like "here she is now go stand over there so I can take a picture" sort of thing.... So I say do it but plan it so it goes the way you envision it!
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • odiloveslegosodiloveslegos member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think gatorgirl hit the nail on the head.  Do it because you want to- not for pictures.

Personally, I'm an old fashioned girl and I want him to see me walking down the aisle.  I like suspense.  Also, and surprisingly so, FI is vehemently against first looks.  What's your FI think?
  • edited December 2011
    im not doing a first look. id rather him see me walk down the aisle like everyone else. i don't think FI wants to do a first look either i think i like the anticipation ;)
    i agree with odi - i like the suspense and the rush its going to bring me, it'll be more passionate in my opinion. id rather forgo the first look pics and do a day after session :)
  • edited December 2011
    Im also not doing a first look. I really want to see him for the first time when I walk down the aisle. It is very important to me. Im not worried about the pictures and things because I guarantee I will get plenty of those. We only want to many portraits that we will be able to have time to get to the end of our cocktail hour.
  • edited December 2011
    I will do a first look because I want the time to do our photos... I want to have that moment between just us!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SapidonSapidon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and are not doing them either...which did not go over well with our families at first.  We are Jewish and our families wanted us to have the traditional Jewish ceremony, where the bride and groom see each before the ceremony to sign the Ketubah (jewish marriage license).  However, whenever I am at a wedding, I never watch the bride come down the aisle.  I always watch the groom because I love to see his face as he sees her for the first time.  So, I wanted to have the experience at my own wedding.  Upon explaining this to my Rabbi he suggested we incorporate the Ketubah signing into the ceremony.  He also agreed to marry us a little before sundown so we have time for pics after with light.  So, we will walk down the aisle to the Ketubah, do the signing, then walk under the Chupah for the ceremony.  Now everyone gets to share in our special moment rather than just a few people, the family is happy that the wedding is still somewhat traditional, and I get to have my favorite part of the wedding!!! 

I agree that you should not do the first look because it saves time or for pictures, but because it is a part of how you always envisioned your day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards