Florida-South Florida
Options

Vendor Reviews- 1/3/2011

Hey ladies, I know how important it is to have vendor reviews, so here they are! I planned my wedding in Miami from Kansas and relied mainly on these reviews from other brides. here goes...

Rehersal Dinner:

Rusty Pelican: B
The food was good, the view was amazing and the service was just okay.  The reason I gave them a B is because they messed up a few orders and forget to give us one of our appetizers.  The service was okay; not great, not terrible. 

Original Venue for ceremony and recpetion:

Rusty Pelican F-
We were originally going to hold our ceremony and reception at The Rusty Pelican however due to the poor lack of communication by Kimberly the catering manager as well as Elsa in the catering department we did not feel confident or comfortable in their abilities to accomodate us on the big day.  It would take over a month, yes a month! to get somebody to respond to an email.  I had to call Peter, the manager more than once to get him to have someone contact us.  Kimberly was absolutely terrible at communication and very rude when she did decide to respond.  After talking with Peter we began working with Elsa.  Elsa was very friendly, however she was terrible at communication as well.  As we were planning a destination wedding, communication is very important to us and it was so non- existent that we had no other choice to move venues.  The only reason we held our rehersal there was because we had already placed a deposit for the venue down.  This place is in dire need of renovations.

Getting ready:

Make up by Claudia- A +
Claudia was truly amazing. She showed up early for both the trial and the day of the wedding.  She was very professional and accomodating.  Her work is beautiful and her prices CAN NOT be beat! she charged 20 for the trial and 40 for the day of, she didn't charge more for the bride which I hadn't found anywhere else.  My mom has skin allergies and can only use certain types of products, Claudia was very understanding and checked with her before she applied any product to her.  Claudia is super sweet and very talented.  I would highly reccomend her to anyone looking for make up for the big day.

Hair- Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne- A
The girls were very nice and did a really good job.  Everyone left with what they had asked for.  They came to our room on time and were very professional.  I was able to cut a deal with Yasmina on the prices, and they did a beautiful job.

Reception:
Grove Isle Hotel and Spa - A+
I worked with Megan who was truly a pleasure to work with.  She was always very prompt and returned my emails within a day.  The day of was beautiful, everything was set up like I was told it would be and the view was amazing.  Everyone on their staff was very friendly.  The food was delicious, service was great, I really couldn't have asked for anymore from them.

Cake- Todo Dulces- A+
I worked with Alejandra, she was very good about communication and would respond to email within a day or two.  She gave me the best price out of any of the other companies I spoke with.  The cake was beautiful and looked exactly like the picture I had sent Alejandra.  The cake arrived on time.  Everyone raved about how delicious the cake was and how moist it was.  The dj even had a few slices :)

DJ- Liquid DJ's - A+
We worked with Shannon on setting up the service and Ray was our DJ for the night.  Everyone was very professional and went very smoothly.  The website makes it very easy to plan the music for your night.  Ray was very nice and kept the crowd partying and dancing all night.

Reverend Michael Calderin- A-
MIchael was great to work with.  He is very friendly and easy to work with leading up the wedding day.  The ceremony was beautiful and everyone cried.  My only complaint is that he was running about five minutes late....

Harp- Esther Underhay- A+
Esther was very easy to work with.  Her webiste makes it very easy to see the most popular wedding songs to help you make your selection.  She played beautifully and was very sweet.

Florist- Gil Sosa- F
I had heard mixed reviews on the boards about Gil.  Some people have had great experiences and some have had not so great such as me.  I heard how poor his communication was leading up to the wedding, but how he would be all yours the week of the wedding, so I went with him.  Yes, it is true his communication is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.  He wouldn't respond to emails in a timely manner and I had to call him on a number of occasions.  Where he really dissapointed was on the day of the wedding.  Like any wedding plans change, I had originally needed him to have flowers at the Grove Isle at 1pm, the night before the wedding it was decided we would need the flowers at The Ritz in Key Biscayne ( only 10 minutes away).  So I sent GIl an email explaining all this.. no respond, so I wasn't surprised.  The day of the wedding my maid of honor gets a phone call from him stating he's dropping the flowers off at The Grove.  So I speak with Gil and ask him if he got his email, well he didn't check it.  He says he can't bring my bridal party and my flowers 10 minutes away because he has to take a Christmas tree down. I contacted Gil over 9 months before my wedding and secured the date, I was dissapointed that he did not make my job a priority and booked another job so closely to the time of when he dropped off flowers.  The best man drove to the Grove and picked up the flowers.  My bouquet was what I had asked for, however had already started to wilt. Dissapointing for a 150 bouquet.  We get to the Grove and the centerpieces are not at all what were in the proposal or what he told me would be at the wedding. He threw four centerpieces together that looked like they could be bought at your local grocery store.  All in all I was very dissapointed and would not recommend Gil.  Yes, his work may be beautiful; however his communication is poor and you may not get what you were promised on your big day. Or you may even have to have someone in your bridal party go get your flowers becuase he refuses to drive the ten minutes to get them to you...

Millenium Limo- D
They showed up on time with the limo I ordered.  The guy tried to get me to sign a credit card receipt with no dollar amount written in.  I made him total up the charges before I would sign.  When I checked my debit card I was charged more than I authorized.  I called on Wednesday and still have not heard anything back.

Paper:
Invitations and Save the Dates- Costco.com- A+
Prices were reasonable and I was very happy with the finished product. 
Programs: Wedding Paper Divas- A+
Again, prices were reasonable and I was very happy with the finished product.

Honeymoon:
Sandals Nassau Bahamas- B+
The food and view were amazing.  The service left some to be desired, since it is all inclusive, you are not allowed to tip, which I think may have improved service.  The room was okay, we had no running water when we arrived and it took over an hour to get our bags delivered to our room.  There was black mold in the shower which really kicked up my allergies. All in all everything was very nice and we are looking forward to visiting a different Sandals in the future. 

Re: Vendor Reviews- 1/3/2011

• Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very helpful recs.  Thank you!

I too have seen the Gil Sosa recs and thought abou trying him, but will definitely not at this point.  I don't care how great his floral desing abilities are.  He should be considerate enough to communicate if you are paying him.  You are not simply paying him for his florals, but you are paying him to do business with you. 
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very helpful reviews indeed!
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @wstuart... Would you be able to pm me the number of your makeup artist please?
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • Options
    MariMac84MariMac84 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Woo hoo! I'm using todo dulces too! Their cakes are delish! 
    thanks for the reviews
  • Options
    djoann958djoann958 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews! I am in the process of booking a limo and a shuttle bus for OOT guests for my daughter's wedding.   I appreciate being able to cross one company off my list.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sadou02- I don't know how to pm- but here's her email- makeupbyclaud@gmail.com.

She is very fast at responding. I love Claudia, she was truly amazing!

djoann958- definitely cross them off your list! I just did some research on them, Like I should have done before the wedding and apprently they are "scam artists".  They have forged many credit card signatures and dollar amounts.

Tip to future brides- NEVER sign a blank credit card slip like they wanted me to do.  Heaven only knows how much they would have charged had I not made them figure up the total while I stood there waiting to leave my reception. 
  • Options
    abellabell member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for taking the time to do the reviews.  Super helpful!
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews. I'm sorry some things didn't turn out so well, but what's important is that you are now a happily married lady :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the reviews!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards