Florida-South Florida
Options

Church for agnostic bride?

Hello! I am not religious but my fiance is so I would really like a church ceremony for him. Can anyone recommend a church that would be "friendly" to someone who is not religious? I dont feel right pretending I am religious just to use their church! Thanks in advance!

Re: Church for agnostic bride?

• Options
    You're going to be hard pressed to find a church that will work with you. I would suggest you find an officiant who will create a nice service showcasing your agnosticism AND your Fi's religious beliefs in the ceremony, and do it at your reception site.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_church-for-agnostic-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:b3eec987-4b15-4153-90f4-6f85b386c461Post:71a2ecca-dde8-484d-a0ff-f3922ba51c48">Re: Church for agnostic bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're going to be hard pressed to find a church that will work with you. I would suggest you find an officiant who will create a nice service showcasing your agnosticism AND your Fi's religious beliefs in the ceremony, and do it at your reception site.
    Posted by poultryprincess[/QUOTE]
    I was going suggest the same thing. You could still have a religious ceremony outside the walls of a place of worship and you don't need to pretend something you are not for the sake of using a church. However, if your FI is Catholic then it may be a hard task because the Catholic church only recognizes marriages inside the walls of church (Catholic church).
  • Options
    Im religous but my fiance isnt. We are getting married at the Coral Gables Congregatinal church because they dont require anything of him... They have been really nice and havent once given us a problem for him not believing. so you might want to check them out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, I will definately check that church out.
  • Options
    Try checking out the First United Methodist Church of Coral Gables. It's nothing like a Catholic church and the couple's session is great and one on one.
  • Options
    You should also look into the Unitarian Universalist churches in the area (I think there are 2-3). They often have beautifully designed chapels, but are very open to many different perspectives and faith backgrounds, they are a non-denominational religion. Not a ton of people know about them, but I've met a couple of their pastors and they are very welcoming and willing to have discussions with you. For example: during my first conversation with a pastor over in Naples, I was struggling with my mom's instensely negative reaction to my informing her that I no longer considered myself Catholic or even Christian- he was very helpful, understanding and I came out of our discussion in a much better place- and I wasn't even a member of the church! For someone of a spirituality like yourself, they could be an excellent option for your wedding.

Oh, and btw Dania, the Catholic Church will recognize marriages that take place outside of a Catholic Church provided the officiant is a Christian minister. My parents were married in 1986 in my mom's Lutheran church and at the time of their marriage the local bishop had to have a discussion with my dad's mom to assure her that their marriage would be recognized as valid by the church. If someone has told you otherwise, please directly contact the office of Bishop Barbarito or Archbishop Wenski to be sure you have been given accurate information (now, if you want a wedding Mass, then you do indeed have to be married in a Catholic Church).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_church-for-agnostic-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:b3eec987-4b15-4153-90f4-6f85b386c461Post:a3f0ecf6-0eab-4644-9edf-e09963b1e56a">Re: Church for agnostic bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, I will definately check that church out.
    Posted by miamidarling[/QUOTE]
    Here is another church to check on! They seem very open and accepting so I hope it works out for you! <a href="http://www.trinitymiami.org/" rel="nofollow">http://www.trinitymiami.org/</a>

Keep us in the loop!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_church-for-agnostic-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:b3eec987-4b15-4153-90f4-6f85b386c461Post:f4a74dab-1c39-4b17-b92a-8bec7cf6ef53">Re: Church for agnostic bride?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should also look into the Unitarian Universalist churches in the area (I think there are 2-3). They often have beautifully designed chapels, but are very open to many different perspectives and faith backgrounds, they are a non-denominational religion. Not a ton of people know about them, but I've met a couple of their pastors and they are very welcoming and willing to have discussions with you. For example: during my first conversation with a pastor over in Naples, I was struggling with my mom's instensely negative reaction to my informing her that I no longer considered myself Catholic or even Christian- he was very helpful, understanding and I came out of our discussion in a much better place- and I wasn't even a member of the church! For someone of a spirituality like yourself, they could be an excellent option for your wedding. Oh, and btw Dania, the Catholic Church will recognize marriages that take place outside of a Catholic Church provided the officiant is a Christian minister. My parents were married in 1986 in my mom's Lutheran church and at the time of their marriage the local bishop had to have a discussion with my dad's mom to assure her that their marriage would be recognized as valid by the church. If someone has told you otherwise, please directly contact the office of Bishop Barbarito or Archbishop Wenski to be sure you have been given accurate information (now, if you want a wedding Mass, then you do indeed have to be married in a Catholic Church).
    Posted by LaMaFa[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarification! I was trying to say something else but it came out the wrong way, lol. What I meant was the wedding mass part like you mentioned in your post :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards