Ohio-Cleveland

Brides by Demetrios or Catan's fashions

My sister from out of state is coming to visit in August and I very much want to go try on bridal gowns with her in town. Just for fun as I am not ready to buy just yet, wedding isn't til July next year and I need to save a few dollars before purchase. I still want the experience with her because she probably won't be able to come when I get serious to buy.

So has anyone gone to Brides by Demetrios in Lyndhurst or Catan's Fashions in Strongsville? How was your experience? Would you recomend going? Strongly urge not to go? What's the plus size selection at both? Last time I had to buy a bridesmaid dress it was a 24, probably a size or two smaller now.

If neither of these, where did you go? Just looking for a great first try-on experience with my sister. thanks

Re: Brides by Demetrios or Catan's fashions

• cvolk2cvolk2 member
    First Comment
    I've been to Catans in Strongsville before.  It may be a good place for you to try on with your sister because all of the appts are in their own rooms which are fairly roomie with chairs for family. This way you won't have to worry about it being super crowded in a main show room.

However, when my consultant noticed that I wasn't liking too many of the dresses, she left the room and never even came back to check on me.  I had to find her in the lobby to tell her I was leaving.  She seemed to want the sale and didn't care about the customer service aspect.  I personally will never go back because of this.

David's Bridal was a great 1st place to try on dresses because the consultant had a few brides she is working with so I didn't feel bad not giving her a sale.  Also, she let my mom help me try on all my dresses so I never felt any pressure from her.  They seem to be more understandable about not buying your 1st time.

Good luck!
  • I went to brides by demetrios...I didn't try anything on jus looked...they were very helpful tho and strongly suggested I make a appt....I went to davids bridal...I. wish they had more of a plus size selection at the store however....I tried about 12 dresses on and none were my actual size I had to get clipped on everyone : I'm a size 18 but overall it was a good experience with them
  • I have had a few experiences with Cantn's from different events.  I was not fond of them and did not think the experience was anything special.  I am a size 16 and there were several dresses I couldnt not try on.  I also found their pricing to be way over compared to other stores and what they charge for alterations is redic.  They also tend to be pushy. 

I would say if you just want to go look for fun to go to Davids.  I ended up buying my dress at Dreams to Realities Bridal out of Medina.  They have a wonderful selection...especially if you like Maggie Sottero Gowns.  Everyone has been so friendly and they are reasonalble with pricing.  The people they work with for alterations are great and only charge you for what you need to get done compared to a lot of places that charge you a set fee.  I would say the earlier you can order the better.  Most designers take around 8 months to come in and you have to leave enough time for fittings.  My wedding is in September and I ordered my dress in Oct 2011...it did not come in until April 2012 and I have already completed 2 of my fittings.  Hope this helps and you find a great dress!
  • Thanks ladies. I appreciate the advice. We'll probably head to David's Bridal just cause I can bring my sister and my neice and my mom and I won't feel like we are intruding in a small space. They may not have the most deluxe gowns or the best rep but I know my sister got her dress there and had a decent experience.
  • I went to catans a couple weeks ago. its was an ok expierience. the dressing rooms are big and u can bring in a few people ans they have a large selection, but they didnt have much in my price range. they also have 50% off dresses. i found this alfredo angelo ive been wanting to try on for $500 but i ended up not buying it

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cleveland_brides-by-demetrios-or-catans-fashions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:110Discussion:9cff25e9-032c-44d4-ae8e-4992a3f7e2f3Post:30e9bb02-3aff-438f-9240-e4cfb05c4412">Brides by Demetrios or Catan's fashions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My sister from out of state is coming to visit in August and I very much want to go try on bridal gowns with her in town. Just for fun as I am not ready to buy just yet, wedding isn't til July next year and I need to save a few dollars before purchase. I still want the experience with her because she probably won't be able to come when I get serious to buy. So has anyone gone to Brides by Demetrios in Lyndhurst or Catan's Fashions in Strongsville? How was your experience? Would you recomend going? Strongly urge not to go? What's the plus size selection at both? Last time I had to buy a bridesmaid dress it was a 24, probably a size or two smaller now. If neither of these, where did you go? Just looking for a great first try-on experience with my sister. thanks
    Posted by JuKaV[/QUOTE]
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    I don't have experience with the plus selection, but I wanted to mention that I don't think you need an appt at Catan's unless you're planning on visiting the Couture Room (the more expensive designer dresses). The 'regular' section has large dressing areas and there would be room for your guests in there, IMO. It can get crowded on weekends though and as a result, customer service can suffer. I'd recommend going on a weekday (day or evening) for better one-on-one service, if that's what you want. Otherwise, Catan's does have a HUGE selection. I didn't buy my dress there, but it was one of the first places I went to style-shop.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards