Florida-South Florida

wedding gown/bm dresses need advice!-kind of long :(

hi ladies, everyone has been so helpful and i am need of help again! i bought an amazing maggie sottero dress at a sample sale for a great price but when i took it for the estimate for the alterations i have an issue. i took it to reina, she said $300, ok that is good. i took it to another lady, whom a friend of mine HIGHLY suggested and she said $1,000. she said because the hem has allot of applique she will have to take it all off by hand, hem it and stich it all back on by hand. she said becareful of anyone that says anything less because they are probably going to cut it, she said she can do that too but it will compromise the dress, taking away half of the beautiful hem. i'm leaning towards selling the dress and starting from scratch, which is ok w/ me because even as beautiful as the dress is it's heavy and very hot. we are getting married 6/24 and i'm ok w/ something more summery. which leads me to my bm dress issue, i picked out this  http://www.billlevkoff.com/style/bridesmaid-dress/160 in watermelon and we need to order dresses STAT b/c time is running out. but i'm a little hesitant since i'm not sure about my dress. do you guys think this dress is versitile enough or have a suggestion on a place that can get me the dresses quicker that i can look at so i don't have to decide like tomorrow?? Thank you!!

Re: wedding gown/bm dresses need advice!-kind of long :(

• The bridesmaid dress will go with any bridal gown-- just order those.

If Reina will only charge you $300, why not take it to her instead of starting from scratch?

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • $300 is very reasonable. I'm having mine cut and I asked the bridal salon to keep it for me so I can later make a christening gown for my future child.
    *** TTC since 10/2010 (no planned bc since 2007) Me (31) Sept 2012 - DX Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 8/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good; hypothyroidism; DH (35) SA Normal Clomid 50mg, trigger
    10/2012 BFFN 1st cycle on clomid 50mg w/trigger shot, progesterone level 19.7, cd28 - hcg level 0.
    ***12/2012 Cycle #25 TTA break until March 2013***
    3T Jan2013 Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Winter image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    OB/GYN=expertise in pregnancy/labor; RE=expertise in getting pregnant. (read this on someone's post, feel free to PM me to give you credit) I'm so glad I have a RE on my team. Consult a RE after 1 year under 35yo; 6 months 35yo+
  • KEEP your dress, I read your previous post(s) and I remember you said it was the one.... KEEP it!

I have a gown which has alot of apps on them as well... My alterations were over 500.00. However, my situation isnt the same as yours as I was able to take it back in and exchange it for a smaller size...  BUT if I was in your shoes... I would take it back to Reina- I would ask her if she is going to cut it? If she is- ask her what she would do to it to make it look seemless? 

Dont be afraid to ask her whats what- tell  her you got another estimate for 1000.00, that this other lady said they have to be taken off by hand... Maybe that person was telling you a fib and was still going to cut it.......  People can be very shady in these hard times.

Since the girls on her recommend her- I would say that means alot! I hope what I said helps you..      Good Luck!!  Kelly
  • I will say I got my dress on sale as a cancelled order, unfortunatly it was 2 sizes too big. Reina is altering it for about the same as you. My bodice has a ton of detail with some lace and beading and she didn't cut it. When I went back for my second fitting the lace on the sides was almost hanging off like small wing because shr wanted to make sure it was sized perfectly before messing with those parts so she hand sowed them off and left a little wiggle room - I am hoping I'm explaining this well, but moral of the story I think she is doing a fabulous job and I would go talk to her again if I were you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just ask Reina what she is planning to do before you make another decision. I'm using Reina and I'm under the impression that they do amazing work, for a very minimal price. Don't start from scratch until you are perfectly sure. 
    *My Planning Bio* *UPDATED 1-18-2012*
    South FL March siggy: Fave Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards