Florida-South Florida

Monday's Special Post: $$$ Saving Tips

Money Saving Tips

Congratulations on your engagement! First and foremost, enjoy your engagement :) Once you and FI are ready to start planning for your upcoming wedding, sit down and discuss the most important things before anything, budget and the number of guests to want to have. Discussing the potential investment of a wedding isn't so much fun but it's necessary in order to not to go (or wayyyyyy) over budget. Whether you and FI, parents, or a combination of both are paying for your wedding, don't fret because you can still have a beautiful wedding by keeping in mind these money saving tips! :)

Rank Your Priorities

- What aspects of your wedding are most important to you and your FI? Consider all the items which you are willing to spend a bit more because they are truly important to you and those who you want to stay within a certain budget and keep in it.

Wedding Ceremony and Reception

- The smaller your guest list, the lower your catering cost will be. Sometimes it's hard to decide who attends and who doesn't but keep in mind you truly want your closest family and friends to be there with you on your day.

- Not having your ceremony at a place of worship but still need an affordable officiant? How about asking a close friend or family member who speaks well in public. It is a wonderful way to keep a wedding intimate and still save money. You can have your friend or family member ordained via the internet.

- Trying to settle on a date but don't know when? Embrace the off-season. You can save a good chunk of money by asking venue coordinators when they experience their low season for weddings and you can take advantage of the savings.

- Who said a wedding had to be on a Saturday? Consider having your wedding on a Friday or Sunday. Many venues will offer a lower price for these days as well as other vendors since they do not have much business on those days anyways.

-  Think outside of the banquet hall and pick a venue that already has a chic ambiance. Restaurants are usually the best option since they already have great tables, chairs, linens, glassware, and decor. Your investment on centerpieces and other decor items won't be as much.

- Offer one selection for the main course (with an option for vegetarians or other special dietary needs) to keep catering costs down.

- Let the wedding cake be the dessert. Often caterers will offer fruits or petit fours to accompany plated cake slices.

Invitations

- When it comes to professional printing techniques then consider thermography or offset as opposed to engraving. These alternative choices look lovely but not nearly as pricey.

- Select classic white or ivory paper since it is typically less expensive than colored paper. Also, opt for classic blank ink since it's less expensive than colored ink.

- If you are feeling adventurous and crafty then consider DIYing your wedding invites. Just order your paper from well known internet site and order extra just in case and have fun creating.

- Consider single paper invitations rather than pcoketfolds in order to keep the cost of postage and delivery down as well as the overall cost of invitations.

Flowers

- Buy in-season and local flowers for your flower arrangements rather than opting for out of season flowers.

- Opt for greenery rather than more expensive floral variety such has herbs and plants.

- Ask your florist if there are any flowers/arrangements that could do double duty for both the ceremony and reception. For example, altar flowers could find a second home at the entrance to the reception.

- If flowers are too expensive or out of your budget then consider other centerpiece alternatives such as silk flowers, plenty of candles, lanterns, birdcages, or any other arrangements which will mesh will with your theme or colors.

- Consider purchasing bigger blooms (like hydrangeas or similar) to reduce the amount of flowers being used in centerpieces, bouquets , and etc.

Wedding Attire

- Need a gown but don't want to pay full retail price? No problem! Check out for sample sales at your local bridal shops, search at sites such as preownedweddingdresses.com and oncewed.com for pre-loved wedding dresses.

- How about accessories.....why not borrow them from family and friends? If you have a family member or friend who can lend you a veil, earrings, or anything else then it's money you save and it fills in the "something borrowed" item checklist :)

Wedding Libations

- Check out if your venue or caterer will allow you to bring in your own booze. This is a great money saving tip if you shop at Costco or BJ's because you can return any unopen bottles and get your $$$ back.

- If you cannot purchase your own alcohol then ask for a wine and beer service. You can even have one or two signature drinks (bride and groom's drinks) to offer your guests.

- Champagne is expensive but consider their other competitors such as Cava, Prosecco, and Sparkling wine. They all taste delish and don't carry the hefty price tag of Champagne.

Favors

- You can give your guests with homemade favors such as baked goods, fresh fruits, DIY truffles, canned jelly, or anything you and your family and friends can help you.

- If you aren't too keen on making your own favors then check out your nearest Dollar Stores and stock up on candles, chocolates or anything you may like in the party section.

Wedding Cake

- Wedding cake can be expensive especially if you have your heart set on a particular design and style. You can still have the cake of your dreams but have a personal one for you and FH to share and serve your guests sheet cake of the same flavor of your cake or any other crowd pleasing flavor.

- Worried about a cake cutting fee? Consider a cupcake cake or have a dessert bar to serve as your "wedding cake".

Honeymoon

- Fly for FREE -- yes! You can achieve this by replacing your credit card with one that earns you miles. You can learn more by researching at airlinecreditcards.com. It will let you compare milage-accrual programs, APR, and interest rates.

- Check out honeymoon locations during their off-season time. Air flights will be cheaper if you considering traveling international.

Hope these wedding tips help you all!!

Dania

Re: Monday's Special Post: $$$ Saving Tips

• You hit the nail on the head - guest list, guest list, guest list! We figured that we would have saved over $2000 had we not invited all sorts of friends of our parents and grandparents that we hardly knew! My biggest regret!  Its a great list!
  • Awesome job D!!! you really should go into the wedding business, you have a knack for it!!! xoxo
    image Le Creuset 5qt Oval French Oven in Caribbean Blue Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thats what ive been thinking katiebee! She could totally be a wedding planner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks Katie and Annie!  I have been getting the same feedback from even my own wedding vendors and from FI. It's something I would love to do but not sure about giving up my Saturdays up. FI has suggested me to think about it so we'll see after the wedding :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_mondays-special-post-saving-tips?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:dcc6102f-6da2-40e2-b204-1c736f1d1862Post:b52201ac-adb3-44c1-b836-01a9608fa268">Re: Monday's Special Post: $$$ Saving Tips</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Katie and Annie!  I have been getting the same feedback from even my own wedding vendors and from FI. It's something I would love to do but not sure about giving up my Saturdays up. FI has suggested me to think about it so we'll see after the wedding :)
    Posted by Mademoiselle D[/QUOTE]
    I think it's more that you would have a "Saturday" on a different day of the week. But I ditto the whole you could totally rock at planning weddings. You have some awesome ideas and great suggestions for saving money but still getting a rockstar look (Your candelabras! Gorgeous!)
  • Thank you so much for the tips!!!
  • Thank you for posting this!
    October Siggy! Love the Groom's Expression! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards