Florida-South Florida
Options

Can you trust FI...

With any tasks for the wedding? I most certainly can't!

I've spent countless amount of hours planning and DIYing for this wedding. FI's done very little. I try to delegate to him, but his attention to detail is so poor that it's tough. He'll willingly take on a task, but will typically complete the tasks incorrectly.

Example:
Last night I told him to book a honeymoon cruise. (I had already chosen the specific cruise, so he didn't even have to research, all he had to do was put in our information and pay). The result? THREE errors in my name on the reservation. How in the world do you make three errors in a three-part name? Now, 2 were minor. He put me as "Mrs," which I know most of you FL-girls would love, but I specifically told him that I never want to be referred to as "Mrs." Also, my last name has two capital letters in it, and he skipped the 2nd capital letter. I realize that these are both quite minor, but really? You can't properly write out your f-ing future wife's name?

And the third: He put "Becky" (my nickname) as my proper name. On a travel document! I had to call this morning and sit on hold for 20 minutes to fix the problem prior to his credit card being run, because after that point there would be a charge to change the name.

If I had done it myself I could have booked the cruise, properly, in less time than the 20 minutes that I spent on hold with the travel agent today.

Right now the dang reservation still says "Mrs." and is missing the capital letter in my last name. I didn't want the travel agent to think that I was crazy or that FI was a complete idiot, so I only changed what I needed to change to be permitted on the boat.

Anyone else feel that FI can't be trusted with the simplest of tasks?

On the bright side: Honeymoon is booked!

Re: Can you trust FI...

• Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_can-trust-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:67Discussion:e824fa8e-527f-4e2b-8b2e-04aec6d2b892Post:b26e9ed1-7d86-4989-97f8-6ab79731d1a8">Re: Can you trust FI...</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow... thats all I got... I don't ask FI to do anything, just in case. I do it all so I get it done the way I think it should be done, you know?
    Posted by EricaMay77[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%!! This is exactly what I do. He doesn't take anything wedding related seriously, so I don't even ask him to do it. Your FI should know how to spell your name. He should also know to not use nicknames. But I wouldn't freak out over the Mrs. part (even thou you hate it). Just don't let it get you down. Look at the bright side, you are going on your HM! Congrats!!
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI can usually handle things! He's perfection oriented which is a good and bad thing but it helps with wedding related things! Becky- I'm glad you got everything resolved! FI probably wasn't even thinking when he used "Becky" but still.. sometimes it can feel like you have a child instead of a FI! ;)

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, my FI is at the opposite end of the spectrum. He pays TONS of attention to detail and he has champagne wishes on a beer budget. Every idea that I come up with, he magnifies into something that we can't afford and then says that I don't let him do anything that he wants for our wedding (ie I wanted sparklers for a send off, to which he countered by wanting a FIREWORKS DISPLAY. Don't get me wrong, I'd love fireworks, but he turned my $200 idea into a $5000 idea). I WISH I didn't have to involve him in stuff, but he really wants to play an active roll. He even comes to florist appointments and I'll be the one saying a picture looks great and HE is the one asking about a little more of this flower or a little more of that flower. SO ANNOYING! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only tasks on FI's plate were those relating to the men's attire and gifts for them. At this point, I myself have purchased all their gifts, and the only thing pending is for FI to choose his attire as well as their's. He keeps putting it of, and I know this is yet one more thing I will have to do myself.

I put him in charge of finding us a new place to live. I hope he can get that right.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg that is too funny! I would kill him. I gave FI the task of the rehearsal dinner since his parents are paying for it and still nothing. His mom was like umm do you have any ideas?! Ugh men just can't be trusted with this stuff.
  • Options
    mrsmustard12mrsmustard12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely avoid giving FI any important tasks but the only two things I have asked him to do are like pulling teeth.  He STILL hasn't chosen his wedding party and I'd really like for him to do that.  Then his mom was a little late in getting me her guest list and I'm fairly certain she invited a bunch of people neither of us know so I've asked him to go over it and talk to her about anyone he doesn't want to invite.  I'm sure that'll get done in a jiffy...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_can-trust-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:e824fa8e-527f-4e2b-8b2e-04aec6d2b892Post:8001f838-05d8-404d-8781-a740af963050">Re: Can you trust FI...</a>:
    [QUOTE]omg that is too funny! I would kill him. I gave FI the task of the rehearsal dinner since his parents are paying for it and still nothing. His mom was like umm do you have any ideas?! Ugh men just can't be trusted with this stuff.
    Posted by lgrn22[/QUOTE]

HAHAH Laura - I did the same thing an no results!!

I think men don't realize when it comes to planning thing, they are not detail oriented. I give Mark the task of putting our address label on the invites and things like that. Hopefully he can't mess those up too bad.

I know it sounds bad but my moto: I rather do it myself and know it's right.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LindsA90410LindsA90410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-south-florida_can-trust-fi?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:67Discussion:e824fa8e-527f-4e2b-8b2e-04aec6d2b892Post:cd46adce-c2fe-40be-a049-cb8fdb34b87c">Re: Can you trust FI...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can you trust FI... :I give Mark the tastk of putting our address label on the invites and things like that. Hopefully he can't mess those up too bad. I know it sounds bad but my moto: I rather do it myself and know it's right.
    Posted by waterroxy17[/QUOTE]

I gave Fi the same task when we were sending out our STD's and he messed them up! LOL. I will usually ask his opinion of stuff(and his reply is always 'I don't care. whatever you want'), but I won't really give him anything to do. Just the honeymoon, and surprisingly he was super excited about the honeymoon and found us a great place!
    I agree Beth. I would rather do it myself as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    abova001abova001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if it makes you feel  any better- my parents have been married for 30 years and my dad did this earlier this year. He booked a trip for them and on the plane ticket he put her MAIDEN name. My mom has not gone by her maiden name since before she was married (30 years ago!!)! She was just as furious as you are right now. I think its a man thing and unfortunately will never change.
    Visit Miami.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ha! I love everyone's stories!

I'm not actually upset, I just think it's funny and pretty much completely ridiculous. I would say that Faith got it right...sometimes I feel like he's a kid and I have to take care of him. Then he gets mad at me because I treat him like a kid...but when I give him grown up responsibilities, look what happens! :)
  • Options
    RaquelSRaquelS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only assigned my FI to worry about getting his side of the bridal party together and their gifts. I KNOW he would be no use to me with anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having to get his groomsmen together and their gifts. lol. 
    *So Fla Board February Siggy* My babe and I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh noooo... if you want something done right...
    I can't even trust FI's opinion anymore!! He says "yes-no, I mean yes, wait no" because he doesn't know what I want him to say lol I just want a damn opinion!!
    He also said he wanted to meet the DJ with me and then sat and didn't say anything.. wth? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can trust Fi with certain things but not others, I am picky with the wedding stuff so I am handling most of it. He likes when we get checks done so we do them together then go out for a celebratory meal and drink, Thank God because I dont want him messing up anything!
    South Florida July Siggy Challenge-Bouquet image . image image ................. Invited:120image Attending:121 image Declined:001image Not Yet Replied:0image RSVP Date: July 25th Ready to Roll!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is all so funny!  My FI complained I wasn't giving him anything to do and would forget to tell him when I booked vendors sometimes so I gave him a few simple tasks - after bugging him to get them done for weeks I started getting texts and emails from his mother asking me questions because he had just asked her to do them basically! I had to laugh because it was just so silly - and yes like a kids way out :)

He also constantly tells me he doesn't understand why I feel the need to get things done so early - thinks I should wait until 6 months out or shorter to start looking at vendors and things!  That gets annoying sometimes!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards