California-Los Angeles

Help meee!! Planning surprise wedding/vow renewal

Hello everyone! So my parents have been together for about 30 years (I'm 25 btw) and I know my mother has always wished to have had a full on wedding (they just did the marriage certificate). As for a full on wedding, that's out of my budget, cuz that would mean a full legit Catholic Church wedding, but I want to give the both of them something completely special. 

I am completely and utterly overwhelmed though. Looking for venues, party colors, etc etc. If this was how my parents felt when they planned my quinceanera, I have to give them major props, because it gets overwhelming sometimes. 

Mainly venues is what is giving me grief. It can get confusing, what with the fees, and then food and beverage minimum, and I don't know what else...and then I see things about liquor fees per person, and I'm just like, not everyone in my family/friends drinks...and some of them are underage...sooo, how the heck does that even work out? And then, do babies even count as a plate or as a person (don't misunderstand, I mean that in scheme of paying for food...okay I'm babbling now)

I welcome ANY and ALL advice, tips, tricks, suggestions to make this an easier process. This isn't my first party that I've thrown (I'm known to have some pretty awesome parties), but this is my first formal (can you call this formal?), fancy-ish party. 

I don't even know how I'm going to keep this a surprise from them...maybe from my mom, I think I'd eventually spill the beans to my dad. 

...help...please and thank you....

Re: Help meee!! Planning surprise wedding/vow renewal

• I am a MOB, and the very best advice I can give you is to not make this a surprise.  Do you even know if your mom and dad want to renew their vows?  And if they do, it's not an excuse for a do-over wedding.  I'm sure your mother would feel ridiculous in a wedding gown with bridesmaids in matching dresses.  I know that I would.  Vow renewals for milestone anniversaries are usually just a quick reciting of the vows without all the pomp associated with a wedding.  There is no wedding gown, no wedding party -- nothing bride related.  Because your  mom hasn't been a bride for 30 years.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but I beg you not to do anything until you've spoken to your parents.

If you want to do somethng special for them, just host a 30th anniversary party. 
  • In Response to Re: Help meee!! Planning surprise wedding/vow renewal:
    I am a MOB, and the very best advice I can give you is to not make this a surprise.  Do you even know if your mom and dad want to renew their vows?  And if they do, it's not an excuse for a do-over wedding.  I'm sure your mother would feel ridiculous in a wedding gown with bridesmaids in matching dresses.  I know that I would.  Vow renewals for milestone anniversaries are usually just a quick reciting of the vows without all the pomp associated with a wedding.  There is no wedding gown, no wedding party -- nothing bride related.  Because your  mom hasn't been a bride for 30 years. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but I beg you not to do anything until you've spoken to your parents. If you want to do somethng special for them, just host a 30th anniversary party. 
    Posted by Peavy

I wasn't planning on a full on wedding dress, nor bridesmaids, that would be honestly a bit ridiculous in my opinion for my parents. 

It's really the reception that I'm concerned about; I'm not looking for a full on wedding. No wedding party. No church ceremony; just as you mentioned a recitation of the vows, and then on to the reception.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards