California-Los Angeles

Rings

We are looking for a different type of wedding rings. Our goal is to  have environmental friendly rings,  and also rings that are not made out of gold or silver. For the simple fact, that often  workers to extract these materials are employed almost at slave conditions. 
Of course we don't want any coconut ring, or wood.. 
but we don't  want to give in our search of a good material... a material that doesn't exploits anybody.
Any thoughts on this??? recommendations?

Re: Rings

• edited December 2011
    We had our rings made of palladium.  I dont know what conditions the workers that mine palladium are under, but it's a nice metal.  His has my fingerprint on it, and mine has his fingerprint.  The couple that makes these is super awesome: www.brentwilliamsdesigns.com  
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my friends had her DH ring made from a quarter.  It was really cool and you could still see the face of it if you really looked at it.  I don't know what company they used but I'm sure if you googled it you could find it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Why don't you guys get antique rings?  The metal has already been out of the earth for decades--so you are not feeding in to current working conditions.  Morever, you are recycling the gemstones and metal.  If you like a more modern style you could always buy used rings from the 70s or 80s.  Try Diamond Bistro, Ebay, or antique stores.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    What about Greenkarat.com? They use recycled metal, if you feel better about that, and offset what they do so it's nearly carbon neutral. You can also have things like pebbles and man-made stones set in the rings.

Also, I have a vintage ring we bought from an estate jeweler. I'm not sure how you feel about that, but personally, I was morally okay with buying an old ring, knowing that I personally was not supporting the current gold or diamond industry (as the ring is 80 years old and the diamond may have been cut even before that). Not to say conditions were great when my ring WAS made, as it is most likely a DeBeers diamond anyway, but my money didn't go to DeBeers. But it depends on your own preferences, of course. I went to Claude Morady in Beverly Hills. HTH!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards