California-Los Angeles

small reception in Malibu

We rented a house in Malibu for us and the immediate family.  We decided to do the ceremony out on the yard, it has a beautiful view and there's only 14 of us total.  Is it better for us to go to a restaurant for the reception or get it catered at the house too?  Any thoughts?

Re: small reception in Malibu

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The best thing you can do is call up restaurants and get quotes.  Ask them the prices for both as they may be different.  Also, if you want to keep costs down and eat at the restaurant, ask if you can get a fixed menu (choice of a couple apps, a few entree choices like beef, chicken, or fish, and dessert) this way you will have a set price at the restaurant and won't be paying $40 for one person and $20 for another.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    How did you go about finding the house you rented in Malibu? I would like to do the same thing...rent a house for the ceremony with a small number of people...Thank you!
  • quittydancequittydance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To lmp0882, We rented the house for over a week since family from out of town are coming.  I told the owner that we're just going t o have a party (so I didn't quite exactly say it going to be a wedding!).  If you look at most of the postings for rentals, either they charge  extra for a wedding, no matter how small it is or they won't let you rent at all.  We're just going to make it really low key since we're doing the ceremony and reception in the house, and there's less than 20 people.  As long as we don't bother the neighbors, I hope it will be ok.  The owner also put in the contract how many guests are coming to the "party" and  how many cars are expected.  Here's a sample of what I found.  I like how it's isolated and the view is fantastic:  http://www.vrbo.com/360399

Goodluck! 

• edited December 2011
    That is beautiful! Thanks so much for the help - I will look at VBRO tonight. Great suggestion on not quite mentioning there will be a wedding there!

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards