California-Los Angeles
Options

May Brides - Should I REUSE flower from ceremony for reception?

Hi everyone, my wedding is going to be on May 23rd, 2010. I have already meet with 8 florists and some florist tell me I should just reuse the flowers from my ceremony for the reception to save money, but others have told me that since my ceremony is outdoors in May at 5pm that the flowers will die or look sloppy. However others tell me it won't be that hot and the flowers will be fine. I don't know what to do. Other people who have gotten married in MAY, what do you guys think? Also most of my flowers are roses? Do you think it's a good idea to RE-USE? Thanks!!!

Re: May Brides - Should I REUSE flower from ceremony for reception?

• Options
    AshleyBillyAshleyBilly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, my wedding was May 2 and we used ALL roses and calla lillies and they were completely fine! The florist said since roses are such a strong flower they hold up really well.  If you are using hydrangea or peonies or a more delicate flower it might be more difficult to reuse but I think you should be ok with roses. Good luck!
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was May 24 and we also had an outdoor ceremony at 6pm. We reused our flowers and even brought the centerpieces home the next day and they looked fabulous. We also had flowers that people say don't do well in heat (our wedding was in Florida so it was hot and humid) and they were just fine.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just saw PP and wanted to say that we had hydrangeas, peonies, tulips and other flowers (all of which are not supposed to do well in heat) and mine were just fine.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Flowers should do fine if they are properly hydrated. Most florists get your flowers either on the Wednesday or Thursday prior to your wedding and leave them in water over night before arranging them. Some varieties of roses are really delicate while others are super hearty.  Go with the import roses if you can(the stuff from ecuador/columbia).  If you want white/cream colored roses Vandelas are the way to go, they are sturdy and can take alot of handling before bruising.  For reds I recommend Freedom Roses, they also take alot of abuse before they lose their petals.  If you want something darker, Black Magic roses are also pretty sturdy.  If you want to go darker than that, Black barccaras are pretty much the darkest rose you can get.   If your florist has the man power to shuffle the flowers around during your cocktail hour and reuse them for your reception, why not go with that option? 
  • Options
    Soon2B Mrs.VSoon2B Mrs.V member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We reused my ceremony flowers, and our wedding was on a hot day in July.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got married May 23, 2009.  :)We had our ceremony and reception in the same place, outside on the roof of a hotel.  The flowers lasted beyond the wedding- I took some home and so did the guests.  I think it depends on what kind of flowers you use, some wilt quicker than others.  All of mine lasted!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards