California-Los Angeles
Options

Bilingual officiant

Do you know of any Spanish/English speaking officiants in the L.A area?  We've been considering a blingual officiant to cater to our family (mostly my older relatives). 
    Have any of you been to bilingual ceremony? If so, what did you think about it?  Is there even such a thing?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Bilingual officiant

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding a while back that had a bilingual officiant. I was okay with it because I understand English and Spanish. I believe that they did the intro in both languages, but did their vows in English bc the couple spoke mostly english.
  • Options
    lala90lala90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to several bilingual ceremonies and to be totally honest I don't really care for them.  I don't mind that the priest is speaking another language--that is not the problem It is that the ceremony takes a lot longer and as a guest I am there to celebrate my friends love and new union--not to notice every single word in her ceremony.  I would actually rather not understand a word then to wait for the" English part" to come up. 

Maybe you should do the ceremony in your families language and just the vows in English???  But really do what you feel best about....it is your ceremony and I am just putting in my two cents.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I was planning to do the samething...but I just gave up on that idea. I thought it was going to be too confusing and lenghtly for the guest that did not speak Spanish (all of FI's family).

My family primarily speak Spanish and well I just thought my parents have lived in this country 30 yrs they understand a good portion of it and well my lets not even go into my aunts and cousins that have either live here longer or were even born here. I only have one uncle that will be coming from El Salvador and he would be the only one that wouldn't understand any English...as horrible as it may sound! I've chorosen to send invites to some Spanish speakers, I think it's slighty different reading that a verbally and adding a few Spanish signs to the reception but it will primarily be English.

My cousin who got married 2yrs ago, had the whole ceremony and English and I didn't here not even one family member complain. So they understood it, not even my uncle that came from El Salvador said anything. So I think you should be fine if you pick English or Spanish. I know its a tough choice but Lala90 did make a good point.

Also you could talk to your parents and ask them what they think. Also you could consider just doing it in Spanish.

GL with your choice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

@Lala90 I totally agree with you. As a guest I wouldn't want to sit through a word for word translation of a ceremony. 

@xxQuemirasxx... My parents are ok with an English ceremony, so that helps. I just thought about some of my relatives that don't speak English.

I'm going to go with an English ceremony. Both FI and I would be more comfortable with this anyways. I guess we were just entertaining the idea, as a courtesy to our guests. 
      Thanks for your advice and honest opinions. I really appreciate it Laughing

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards