California-Los Angeles

QOTD

Happy Veteran's Day!  Thanks to all who have put their life on the line to make us safe.  And in honor of today:

Do you have any family in the service?  What branch?  Would you ever consider joining the military?
Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: QOTD

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father served in the Navy for 28 years, step father and two uncles served in the Army, BIL a Marine.  All have since retired but served our country well!

No, I wouldn't join just because I'm not the type of person that can stand being told what to do all the time. Wink
  • edited December 2011
    HAPPY VETERANS DAY!!!!!

Sadly, I know no one that has served. I am 1st generation American so maybe one day my children or my cousins children who knows!

NOPE! I'm just not cut out for it...I'm a BIG wimp Tongue out
  • DodgersBrideDodgersBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy Veteran's Day!
    Jagore- Please be sure to thank your dad and family members for serving our country!

I have a uncle that served in the Marines and was in desert storm. My cousin just finished his terms in the Air Force Monday. FI's BBF just finish his terms in August from both Navy and the Marines. I have about 3 cousins in the Army right now. I also have 2 more cousins serving in the Marines right now.

I don't think I could join.
  • edited December 2011
    My grandfather served in the Navy in WWII. He actually got a Purple Heart because he saved many lives when he threw a live grenade off his ship- and it exploded as it was leaving his hands, causing him to lose all his fingers. He always said 5 fingers were nothing compared to the lives of his fellow servicemen, but he never liked to talk about his experience, either. Definitely a real hero.

My uncle is in the army- he is being promoted to Colonel this year, which is really exciting. And my cousin was in the Marines and served in Iraq.

Sadly, I could never do it....I am not cut out for it physically, and I'm too stubborn.
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_qotd-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:4bf5d7f0-b863-4539-bcd9-ec53460ffc3aPost:053b57b6-63c8-4191-80ce-d99cfcb65775">Re: QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]My grandfather served in the Navy in WWII. He actually got a Purple Heart because he saved many lives when he threw a live grenade off his ship- and it exploded as it was leaving his hands, causing him to lose all his fingers. He always said 5 fingers were nothing compared to the lives of his fellow servicemen, but he never liked to talk about his experience, either. Definitely a real hero. 
    Posted by crnota[/QUOTE]
    Wow!  That's an amazing story to pass down to your kids and grandkids.  A true hero!
  • edited December 2011
    My grandfather was in the Navy for 2.5 years in WWII. He left for training when my aunt was 2 weeks old and served in the South Pacific. He had 4 brothers, a sister, and several brothers-in-law (including my grandma's brother) who were also in the service during WWII. One of my dad's cousins served 2 tours of duty in Vietnam.

My brother is highly considering joining the National Guard. He has a college degree, is experienced with weapons (he works in historic preservation and does reenactments) and did a program called US Naval Sea Cadets when he was in high school (like junior ROTC). They said they can give him a commission as a second lieutenant.

I could never be in the military. Like you, J, I couldn't handle being told what to do, what to wear, when to go to bed, how to wear my hair, where I was going to live, etc. But I'm thankful there are others who want to do that!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    There are so many military members in our families.  My grandfathers on both my mom and dad's sides were in the military.  My dad, uncle, brother, fiance, future brother in law & father in law, so many cousins and great uncles.  Also, my grandmother was a Rosie the Riveter.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards