California-Los Angeles
Options

Changing Last Name! :-)

Hello Ladies!

I'm married!  WOOHOOO!!!  Now, I need to change my last name.  I've heard to first go to the Social Security office then visit the DMV.  Is this still the way?  Any pointers?

Thanks!

Re: Changing Last Name! :-)

• Options
    gamingangelgamingangel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'll be watching this thread too because my wedding is this Sunday. I heard you start with Soc Sec office and then DMV. From there banks and everything else?
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yea i'm pretty sure it's ss office first. i haven't done it yet though.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You start off with Social Security then DMV then Debit/credit cards, then personal stuff like your work and Medical Insurance etc...I haven't done it yet, but I'm pretty sure thats how it goes.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations Mrs.!  

Yes, go to the SS office then to the DMV (you have your marriage license, right?).  After you get your new license, then you can change your bank, credit cards, insurance, etc.  Make sure when you're at the DMV you also change your car registration.  If you have your title you need to take that with you.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Ladies!!!!!!!! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep SS first then DMV and you must have a certified marriage certificate.  My DMV appt is this friday Laughing
    Also when you are getting your marriage certificates - order 2 - don't forget to update your passport as well - to do so you must mail in one "ORIGINAL" marriage certificate, that is why I ordered 2.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    is all you need your marriage certificate or bring your ss card too?
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have you SS you can bring it but they check their database which cross references the SS database so you don't have to have it. But you have to had already gone down to the SS office and applied (which is free too).
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards