California-Los Angeles
Options

R.S.V.P HELP!!

So our RSVP's are slowly starting to come in and I am getting really freaked out because people are RSVP'ing an additional say 2-5 more guests than what we accounted for.  Our friends are inviting their mothers and their sisters and so on.  We are not close to those friends mothers and dads and siblings, but I might add that My fiance is hispanic and I don't want to step on any toes so I am going to try and phrase this in my best ability, this is something that the hispanic culture does.  They invite everyone they know! I do not mind, but what am I suppose to do??? We cannot afford, nor will the space hold that many people if we are going to continue to get r.s.v.p's like that.  Do I have my fiance tell them that the invitation wasnt for his friends mother, father and sisters?? Does anyone else have this same experience?? can you give me some piece of mind?? :(

Re: R.S.V.P HELP!!

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't had that issue but my best advice would be to have either you or your FI call up the people who added on additional guests and let them know you're sorry for the mix up but the invitation was only for _______.  While you'd like to have everyone come to the wedding your budget and space just doesn't allow for it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    RoMy215RoMy215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Unfortunately I think it's common in many cultures. At this point, all you can do is what Jagore said. Good luck!

• Options
    eleven3eleven3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm worried about this happening to us, also! I'll be sending out my invitations at the end of this month.

Just curious, did your RSVP cards include any wording such as "____ seats have been reserved for your party."

Mine do, but now I'm worried that they won't even respect that. Eeeek!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Silence=consent. If you don't tell them that you cannot accommodate the additional guests people will think it is okay.  Get on the phone ASAP. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some of my family members asked if they could bring additional people also. I just told them that becuase of space limitations they couldn't bring them. Some got a little butt hurt but oh well. Call them ASAP and tell them, that you're sorry but becuase of limitations you're unable to accomadate them. If you don't say anything they will think it's ok and they will show up at your wedding with all these people.

Maya
    (ISSR Shiloh Shepherd)
    wedding websites
  • Options
    miss_britt28miss_britt28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I did not include some kind of wording on the invitations as far as how many guests people were allowed to bring. Goshhhh I wish I would have done that before they were sent out because I think that would have helped soooo much! We tried to count everyone we thought possible and included a guest for most of the single people we invited.  So my only hope is that those single people wont bring guests :( Calling them up is kind of not really an option.  Fiance doesnt really want to do that, and I dont really know the people, so I would feel awkward. I guess we will just wait and see.

• Options
    jwdeldottojwdeldotto member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Agreed w/ Jagore...have FI get on the phone and start calling.

We included verbiage on our RSVP cards:

___ seat(s) has/have been reserved for your party. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    jwdeldottojwdeldotto member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh, for those who haven't sent out their RSVPs, it might be a good idea to also number them on the back...that way if the guest replied w/o writing names, you would still know who to reach out to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards